Second Skin Audio

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - Updated 8/18

Torres

JlAtBr7.png

Is this right? It's for a Sundown Audio SD2-8" that calls for a 0.25 enclosure. I don't know if I count the sub's displacement or not but I did. The subs displacement is 0.07. So is this right?

0.32-

0.07=

???

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

So I'm clear......

A sub enclosure can be built and tuned without the T/S parameters of a particular sub or the quantity of those subs as long as you have the cubic feet your looking for and the tuning frequency?

So if 2 brand x and brand y subs can both be placed in an enclosure 6 cubes big and a port tuned to say 35hz then theoretically you can just plug and play each set of subs to see which sound better in that one enclosure?

Seems like I'm missing something with the calculator, or I'm just making it more complicated than it is.

TIA for any light you can shed on this

if it matters I'm trying to do a 5.5 -6 cube net enclosure for 2 12w7's shared cavity single port 84 square inches of port area tuned to 35hz

15" high 31" long and 20" deep max

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

yes technically you're correct. i've seen some people add more port area if they know that the sub they're using has a high xmax and lower port area for subs with low xmax. the end result could be an awesome enclosure for the speaker, an awesome enclosure for any other speaker BUT the one you have....lol, or a bad enclosure altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, First note I appologize for any and all bad spelling and grammer lol!

I am new to ported box building and need major help. For starters I listen to just about anythink as far as music and not much for constant high volume, but i do enjoy a good consistancy of bass. I have gone through 5 subs in past 3yrs. So far 4 had been Alpine Type R's and put in boxes that where recommended from both reviews as well through tuning calculators saying it's a close match. 5th sub was a Memphis Mojo 10d2 bought with a custom box built same day, that lasted me a hold 4 months at normal listening levels before blowing out at random! At this point I measured the box myself and it was 0.10cf to small!

I got another Mojo for free as a replacement thanks to the shops mistake and this ones in a Bassworx box, sounds amazing, but at higher volume you can hear reverb from port and tuning not being correct.

Using my current Mojo (15-Mojo10d2) I'd like to have a custom box built correctly!

I have been messing around with many calculators and having bad luck getting the box shape I want.

If someone would please help me I grately appreciate it! I'm wanting a wide box with eather a bottom port or two side ports. I'm not sure if should just use round ports or go for slot to give the hole box better stability.

Box idea is for SPL or close to SQL, box roughly (Wide 22''-25'', Tall 13''-15", Depth 13''-15'') and will have a rear glass window with LED in the box.

Woofer displacement of 0.14cf (Cone/Mounting Hole 9.43'', Mounting Depth 7.5'', Xmax 0.625, Magnet Diameter 8'', Magnet Height 4")

SPL - 1.50cf 45Hz

SQL - 2.25cf 35Hz

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Needs this monster sub to last!!!

I am new to ported box building and need major help. For starters I listen to just about anythink as far as music and not much for constant high volume, but i do enjoy a good consistancy of bass. I have gone through 5 subs in past 3yrs. So far 4 had been Alpine Type R's and put in boxes that where recommended from both reviews as well through tuning calculators saying it's a close match. 5th sub was a Memphis Mojo 10d2 bought with a custom box built same day, that lasted me a hold 4 months at normal listening levels before blowing out at random! At this point I measured the box myself and it was 0.10cf to small!

I got another Mojo for free as a replacement thanks to the shops mistake and this ones in a Bassworx box, sounds amazing, but at higher volume you can hear reverb from port and tuning not being correct.

Using my current Mojo (15-Mojo10d2) I'd like to have a custom box built correctly!

I have been messing around with many calculators and having bad luck getting the box shape I want.

If someone would please help me I grately appreciate it! I'm wanting a wide box with eather a bottom port or two side ports. I'm not sure if should just use round ports or go for slot to give the hole box better stability.

Box idea is for SPL or close to SQL, box roughly (Wide 22''-25'', Tall 13''-15", Depth 13''-15'') and will have a rear glass window with LED in the box.

Woofer displacement of 0.14cf (Cone/Mounting Hole 9.43'', Mounting Depth 7.5'', Xmax 0.625, Magnet Diameter 8'', Magnet Height 4")

SPL - 1.50cf 45Hz

SQL - 2.25cf 35Hz

Post this up under a new topic and I'm sure someone will help you

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

SPL - 1.50cf 45Hz

SQL - 2.25cf 35Hz

Post this up under a new topic and I'm sure someone will help you

Not even sure what I should post it as, nearly every forum I'v joined wouldn't even acknoledge a new person being there

ok using aero ports how do you calculate thickness of port? iv noticed that every port calculator for aero ports all come up with different lengths for same box size.

example: Torres Calculator comes up with 8-10'' for what i need, and precision ports shows about 11-12''?

Archived