Second Skin Audio

I Can't Tune Any Higher! Unless I Cut Larger, I'm At 3/4" Length! 33hz!

kryptonitewhite

I CAN'T tune any higher! Unless I cut larger, I'm at 3/4" length! 33Hz!

So I converted from 15Hz-20Hz then 25Hz, then decided screw it, I liked 15Hz the best...so I'll cut the whole thing out and play before I retune to 15 again. 15-25Hz made little changes, but 33Hz is notably louder on most songs, but on the low low stuff it's no comparison... I'm going back to 15Hz. Right now though, I've got a lot more punch. But when I get a bigger amp and have the crossover up, I'll get a lot more tight snappy bass back without too much of the 30Hz-50Hz punch and get my low lows back.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

I suppose I could use a 1/2 router bit and do the inside and out hahaha

IB3 22"

Doesn't look like a port it looks like a hole to me....is this a box or an IB setup.....bc you have basically no port area...

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

i believe he was using a sonotube before as a port

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

you should never ever ever tune below f/s

and 3/4" long ports are usless, you need it to load inside the box.

wtf mang. I think thats a 15" sub port opening should be about 55-60 sqin 10"x5.75" tune it to the f/s and be done/.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

i bet your thinking wrong.....

what are you specs?

If you've been doing something for 20 years, does that mean what you do it right???

Want:

2x Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

Comp Amp Undecided

AA Havoc

AQ 1200

knu wiring

set scew lugs for all connections

Alpine IDA-X303 2v preout :(--this goes under the seat.

Have:

Alpine tape deck w/ Benzi Box and 6 disc changer

Check out my Toyota build

^^ What Ray said...

all your trying to do is kill the sub

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

i bet your not even tuned to anything right now haha.

If you've been doing something for 20 years, does that mean what you do it right???

Want:

2x Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

Comp Amp Undecided

AA Havoc

AQ 1200

knu wiring

set scew lugs for all connections

Alpine IDA-X303 2v preout :(--this goes under the seat.

Have:

Alpine tape deck w/ Benzi Box and 6 disc changer

Check out my Toyota build

I've been trying to post these since yesterday morning... My wireless seems to die every sunday

001tffr.jpg

002gd.jpg

003maxpower.jpg

004maxspl.jpg

005splfr.jpg

006xcursion.jpg

007resistance.jpg

008windage.jpg

009portgain.jpg

I'm gonn a make a general statement here, and keep it as emotionless as possible, because this has been a plight for years for me, lots of research, lots of trial and error, lots of experience... this is personal for me.

People over the years have said I CAN'T or SHOULDN'T but I have again and again, and I have done it all your way as well. I am happy with my results, what i have done has worked and IS working right now, and at the end of the day it comes down to tastes. Preference. I am happy with what I am hearing, and I don't care what a mic/TL says for my SPL. I do not care what an RTA would say. I knew what I was after, I knew how to get there, and I am there.

People said you shouldn't tune below 30Hz in car. Music content rarely reaches below there. Cabin gain makes that un needed.

You can't use an IB subwoofer in car. In a box. Especially ported.

You shouldn't make a box so big.

Well I did it. You are not any more right than I am. And tuning below Fs is never "recommended", but it is working just fine. And the day that someone builds me a sub that has a 15Hz Fs and still has more than 30mm Xmax and I can afford it, I will get it. ( hint hint: this is coming from the man that hopes to bring you the 1st vids of a 22" in car that has >30mm Xmax and <20Hz Fs)

I am doing it right now, driving around with 20+ cubic feet with am IB sub tuned below 20Hz (k, not now, I once again had to show you all that I can experiment and listen to other tunings and I know 33Hz is louder for %99 of the songs, "handles" more power... not really, but lets say requires more, so on and so on... dead horse) and I am more than pleased, yet AGAIN... this isn't my 1st enclosure tuned below 20Hz and not just vented.. I did 4th order as well... look at my avatar! But I have also tuned to 27Hz, and 33Hz before, and I have built many many enclosures for other people that want it your way and I listened to them... but I am sticking where I am at.

IB3 22"

Archived