Second Skin Audio

Question About Airespace?

So when i acquired my jl 12w7 my buddy had a box for it built so he gave me that with it when i traded him and i did the measurements out on it yesterday and i used the lxhxw / 1728 to get the cubes of the box and it came out to 2.4 in a sealed box, jl reccomends 1.375 after sub displacement am i losing alot by having such a big box cuz it sounds decent for still having 8 seats in a durango but would like to go louder as i plan to put a second 12w7 in by summer but for now i was just wondering if cutting the height on my box and resealing it closer to the jl reccomendation would help any. any input on this would be great seeing as im pretty much a noob to this. thx :unsure:

2000 White Dodge Durango 5.9L

Flowmaster 40 Series through 2 1/2" with and open cat.

1 Dc lvl5 18

4 6.5 seleniums and 2 D200 Selenium Horns on Rockford 500.2

Big three upgrade and a kinetik HC1800 in the back with all 1/0g knu wire

shootin for 145+ :)

mybanner49a35dfb6b392.jpg 732593158.png

So when i acquired my jl 12w7 my buddy had a box for it built so he gave me that with it when i traded him and i did the measurements out on it yesterday and i used the lxhxw / 1728 to get the cubes of the box and it came out to 2.4 in a sealed box, jl reccomends 1.375 after sub displacement am i losing alot by having such a big box cuz it sounds decent for still having 8 seats in a durango but would like to go louder as i plan to put a second 12w7 in by summer but for now i was just wondering if cutting the height on my box and resealing it closer to the jl reccomendation would help any. any input on this would be great seeing as im pretty much a noob to this. thx :unsure:

Is this a sealed or ported box?

I try to keep my enclosures within +/- 10% of the reccomended enclosure volume for sealed specs. I would think that because of the enclosure being over 1 cube larger than reccomemded that it is not playing to it's full potential and be extra "boomy" sounding.

I would suggest that before you start cutting up the enclosure that you just temporaraly add some wood inside to reduce the air space and see what it does for you output. 1 cube is alot of space to fill up but it should give you a good idea as to what's up.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

Well, its going to sound alot cleaner if its a smaller box, as in you will hear the bass notes better and will be hearing more highs. but if its a bigger box. u are able to hit more lows, and get more moving air and such, thats what iv seen with this kind of problem..

Re Audio

Diamond Audio

Alpine Audio

Rocksford Fosgate

DB Link

smd5.png

what kind of amp are you using?

if you're looking to get a lil louder then put an aeroport in that box.

I try to keep my enclosures within +/- 10% of the reccomended enclosure volume for sealed specs. I would think that because of the enclosure being over 1 cube larger than reccomemded that it is not playing to it's full potential and be extra "boomy" sounding.

I would suggest that before you start cutting up the enclosure that you just temporaraly add some wood inside to reduce the air space and see what it does for you output. 1 cube is alot of space to fill up but it should give you a good idea as to what's up.

Yea i was thinking about that just blocking off a portion of the box before i cut any off of ill try that and see how it works out

1 Dc lvl5 18

what kind of amp are you using?

if you're looking to get a lil louder then put an aeroport in that box.

Its an autotek 1400.1 mean machine its a little much for it but i got it cheap lol

and where could i get an aeroport?

1 Dc lvl5 18

1 Dc lvl5 18