Sonic Electronix

Building An Amp Rack, Where To Start, And How To Do It?

Since the weather is getting nicer, it's time to start planning some projects for the spring to complete my audio system(I still need a couple of components though) One thing I need to do is build an amp rack.

Due to some space restrictions, I.E. I still need some space in my trunk, this is my daily driver, tjhe only place I can think of to put my amps is on my trunk lid. I'm aware of the problems associated with doing this, and am trying to plan accordingly, but first thing is first, I need a rack to mount my amps.

I would like to have a fiberglass cover in the end, that I could put over the rack, and make everything nice and pro.

How do I get my amps mounted there? there are quite a few contours, and I'm really not sure where to start here.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks.

whoa I forgot about this thread.

For right now I'll just be using some insignia subs, and amp. I know I'll need to secure my lid for sure.

There is also another smaller DualAV 4/3/2 channel amp.

I think I'm going to have to buy another insignia amp, and mount them at an angle, with the Dual amp mounted in the middle ... so like an "A" shape with amps.

The car it's going into is a 1996 Mercury Cougar.

Here's a pic of my lid.

Trunk%20Lid.jpg

Why not consider mounting the amps right under the rear deck? Suspended on a 1/2 mdf board covered in carpet, with a removable beaty cover. You won't even be able to see the amps the rear deck is easier to fasten to, and you trunk lid will stay up...

Kind of like this...

IMG_1129Medium.jpg

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e-elect...-rack-made.html

Edited by JDirty96

Why not consider mounting the amps right under the rear deck? Suspended on a 1/2 mdf board covered in carpet, with a removable beaty cover. You won't even be able to see the amps the rear deck is easier to fasten to, and you trunk lid will stay up...

Kind of like this...

IMG_1129Medium.jpg

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e-elect...-rack-made.html

because my boxes fit in between the wheel wells, and fill in the space almost perfectly.... there is only 1/4" between the top of the boxes, and the bottom of the rear deck.

I had 3 single farad caps on the trunk lid of my 2000 bonneville ssei it looked good however it was heavy as hell and the slightest little wind or bump would slam that trunk closed. That and until I readjusted my trunk tensioner I couldnt even get it to open with the keyless. It was a pain in the ass but it did look good. I have some pics that I will try and find and put them up on here.

Rockford Fosgate

Sundown Audio

DC Power Inc

XS

Autometer

Pioneer