Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Buy Fi Or Wait For Smd?


Buy FI or wait for SMD?  

69 members have voted

  1. 1. Should I wait for release of SMD or buy FI?

    • Wait 4 SMD
      38
    • Buy FI
      32


Recommended Posts

Posted

Let me say I love BTL's, but I just sold mine to buy SMD subs. . .I am not worried about the wait. The delays were beyond Scott's control. When I saw the proto at his office, I knew I had to have them.

I would also like to say there always seems to be a lot of mis-info on how much power you need to use a certain driver. This gets brought up over and over at ***. I am going to have to disagree with some of the comments above. . .

Example - It does not matter if you have 100, 200, 1000, or whatever watts, the BTL is the loudest sub sub Fi makes. Let's say you have 1000 watts. The Q is not automatically your best choice as a sub just because you are closer to its power rating. The BTL still has the potential to be louder.

Same thing with the SMD sub. You may not have the power to drive it to its limits, and you might save money buying a BTL, but that does not mean you have to have 3500 watts just to use it and get good performance out of it.

Brian

that post is why alot of people here get confused. As myself ive seen steve state to people that they Needed to have the power to run his subs.

Althought i understand where hes coming from, i understand where your coming from also, but people will get confused when Steves telling them run big power to it and others say you dont need it.

Posted

Let me say I love BTL's, but I just sold mine to buy SMD subs. . .I am not worried about the wait. The delays were beyond Scott's control. When I saw the proto at his office, I knew I had to have them.

I would also like to say there always seems to be a lot of mis-info on how much power you need to use a certain driver. This gets brought up over and over at ***. I am going to have to disagree with some of the comments above. . .

Example - It does not matter if you have 100, 200, 1000, or whatever watts, the BTL is the loudest sub sub Fi makes. Let's say you have 1000 watts. The Q is not automatically your best choice as a sub just because you are closer to its power rating. The BTL still has the potential to be louder.

Same thing with the SMD sub. You may not have the power to drive it to its limits, and you might save money buying a BTL, but that does not mean you have to have 3500 watts just to use it and get good performance out of it.

Brian

As I agree with you, I also believe that getting as much as you can out of the money you spend is also wise.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

Posted

this is steve......at chickens.......on his account ( i promise)......

the reason i say that shit is because on the real, if it is 3500rms and all you have is 1000 watts, im not gonna push my sub on you when there is a more suitable sub for the power you are providing. Id love for everyone with 500w to buy my sub but will they be happy? will they bitch because it says SMD and its not as loud as they thought? i dunno....if its a 3500rms sub i would say come with at least 2500w......2000 if thats all u got and plan to upgrade later........but 1500 and below, there is much better subs that will get the fuck out the box on that power a little more.

just my 2 cents.....back to my 40oz :D

....meade

Click Below For My Myspacechpsig.jpg

Posted

this is steve......at chickens.......on his account ( i promise)......

the reason i say that shit is because on the real, if it is 3500rms and all you have is 1000 watts, im not gonna push my sub on you when there is a more suitable sub for the power you are providing. Id love for everyone with 500w to buy my sub but will they be happy? will they bitch because it says SMD and its not as loud as they thought? i dunno....if its a 3500rms sub i would say come with at least 2500w......2000 if thats all u got and plan to upgrade later........but 1500 and below, there is much better subs that will get the fuck out the box on that power a little more.

just my 2 cents.....back to my 40oz :D

....meade

Alchy

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Posted

I agreed they might save money, but the two points I was making were:

1. Regardless of power, the SMD sub may still turn out to be the loudest sub Fi/AA makes. If it is, it will be louder than the other subs, even if only on 500 watts. How much louder, we will have to wait and see - As already stated, it may not be enough to justify the cost increase for some people.

2. Just because you have a limited amount of power, you do not have to buy a sub that will be maxed out at that power. The sub that meets your budget, installation needs, and goals will be the best choice.

As far as Steve's comment you stated - That is a problem with inexperienced users. You can only get the performance of the weakest link in the system. If they don't understand their weakest link, they really do not need to be buying a sub like this anyway.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Posted

w00t for brian?

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4744 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...