Second Skin Audio

2 Subs With Half Power Or 1 Sub With Full Power?

Hello everyone,

I just had a quick question that I am having troubles being 100% confident I have the answer figured out.

I have been doing research on this topic and most places you read state that doubling your power to your sub generates roughly a 3db gain. These same places state that adding a second sub using the same power (1 sub with 500 watts or 2 subs using 250 wats each) would add 3db of output due to the increase in cone area.

So here's my situation:

I am redoing my car, and in the process I am working on getting the wife a little thump in her trunk. I currently have 2 10" subs (dual 4ohm) wired up to a 4 ohm load and was debating on switching my setup to only have one sub in my car, wired at 2-ohms (doubling power to sub). This would in effect nearly quadruple the power the one sub is receiving (250 watts x1 at 4 ohms, running 2 subs = 125 watts per sub. 500 watts x1 at 2 ohms to one sub if I change).

With this being said, should I actually hear more output from single sub running at 2 ohm versus my 2 subs running at 4 ohms? Or would I not feel the "impact" as much since there is not as much cone area moving the air?

Any help/advice would be truly appreciated!

x2 id rather be able to beat the hell out of one sub then have two barely fuctioning

2000 White Dodge Durango 5.9L

Flowmaster 40 Series through 2 1/2" with and open cat.

1 Dc lvl5 18

4 6.5 seleniums and 2 D200 Selenium Horns on Rockford 500.2

Big three upgrade and a kinetik HC1800 in the back with all 1/0g knu wire

shootin for 145+ :)

mybanner49a35dfb6b392.jpg 732593158.png

Yeah, after doing the math in the initial post, I noticed that it is actually 4 times the power instead of only twice the power as the original title suggests.

I think I've convinced myself that I'll go ahead and do the single 10" sub running at full power.

Now the choices begin, because I'll have an extra 10" sub available to use in the wife's car, but I was originally going to make a box for 2 of the ED 7kv's in her little saturn, but now maybe I'll have to save those for another project and give her this sub. 2 - 6.5" subs versus 1 - 10" sub, I'm thinking the wife will enjoy the 10" more......

Sure glad I haven't build her box yet... hehehe

• 14 years later...

Welcome new members. Something to keep in mind, is the DATE of the posts. Like this one brought back from the dead. Half the people here, where in kindergarten most likely when this post was made. 

That said, id have 50 subs on 1/10th power, over one. Just me. 

CHeers, welcome new members, but, .... take a gander at the DATE, of what your reading. Again, welcome.