Sonic Electronix

Well, this subject is kind of hard for me to talk about. I was actually born without a sense of smell, so no I have never smelled anything in my life ever.

With that being said, a friend that I work with and give rides to, has been saying my system kind of smells. He's not into car audio, but he said it reminds him of heated up copper. My BTLs do get a tad warm after really laying it down for a good 15-20 minutes, but I'm not sure if it's them or not. Do subs have a distinct smell/stink to them? Subs are pretty new as well, not too much play time on them yet. What does a smell of 'hot copper' indicate?

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

Well, this subject is kind of hard for me to talk about. I was actually born without a sense of smell, so no I have never smelled anything in my life ever.

With that being said, a friend that I work with and give rides to, has been saying my system kind of smells. He's not into car audio, but he said it reminds him of heated up copper. My BTLs do get a tad warm after really laying it down for a good 15-20 minutes, but I'm not sure if it's them or not. Do subs have a distinct smell/stink to them? Subs are pretty new as well, not too much play time on them yet. What does a smell of 'hot copper' indicate?

Most likely its the voice coils gettin hot, if they are fairly new they are breakin in, but also u could be over powering them, or something could be clipping whether it be the headunit, eq or processer, or the amp you need to make sure your not sending a clipped signal to the subs or you will burn the coils up on them.

someone pls correct me if im wrong.

2000 White Dodge Durango 5.9L

Flowmaster 40 Series through 2 1/2" with and open cat.

1 Dc lvl5 18

4 6.5 seleniums and 2 D200 Selenium Horns on Rockford 500.2

Big three upgrade and a kinetik HC1800 in the back with all 1/0g knu wire

shootin for 145+ :)

mybanner49a35dfb6b392.jpg 732593158.png

They are most likely breaking in because i don't think you are even close to overpowering your BTL's with 4kw. You still might have a clipped signal though. If you don't have a really good headunit check the gain on your amp and make sure it's not all the way up. Just give it a month or so and then ask your friend if it's still getting smelly. If it is i would bet that it's a clipped signal.

DCBanner.jpg

1 DC lvl 4 15"

1 Hifonics BXi 1608D

3.2ft^3 Box tuned to 32-33Hz

Knu Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0

Knu Karma SS 8 Gauge Speaker Wire

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X493 Head Unit (coming soon)

Kenwood mids + highs (coming soon)

Build

Eclipse 8053 sends a pretty strong signal. Gain isn't even close to maxed. I'm sure some songs I do clip that amp though. I've only killed one sub I've owned in the past 8 or 9 years, I'm sure if I could smell I coulda stopped it before it smoked.

And yeah, not more then a few hours played on the BTLs.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

Well, first off, hot coils are never a good thing (to the touch). If they are just warm, then it should be nothing to worry about.

My MOJOs will stink on clean RMS power after really beating down on em.

OFFTOPIC: I've met a few people that have lost their sense of smell, and the majority of them have also lost their sense of taste. I've researched the hell out of it and can't find any links between those senses (as far as brain activity). You have any good links you could point me towards? (Send in pm to stay on topic)

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Well, first off, hot coils are never a good thing (to the touch). If they are just warm, then it should be nothing to worry about.

My MOJOs will stink on clean RMS power after really beating down on em.

OFFTOPIC: I've met a few people that have lost their sense of smell, and the majority of them have also lost their sense of taste. I've researched the hell out of it and can't find any links between those senses (as far as brain activity). You have any good links you could point me towards? (Send in pm to stay on topic)

its not the brain, i dont remember how it works, but hold ur breath and eat something, u wont taste it till u inhale and the smell activated ur taste buds. i think.... im not describing that right. :x

one time i had a "smelly" battery, my god. it would almost knock you out. have a shop check ur battery to make sure it hasnt gone down the crapper.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

Both batts are brand new and rest at over a little over 13 volts. Coils have a heat/copper smell to them? Same with excess glue?

Smell enhances taste to a large degree. I can taste just not very well. The medical term for no sense of smell is 'asnomia' I believe. Been awhile since I researched it. Used to be in a yahoo group that had tons of good info on it.

I've read a lot of new subs will stink for the first month or so. Hoping that's the case.

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2

136.1 Extreme 3

Interesting!

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

if u dont beat so hard on the subs they wont get smelly. just dont leave it at full volume for long periods of time.

and from wut i have read smell is 90% of taste

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Well I do like to beat on my subs. I don't go full tilt for more then 20 straight minutes. I had a couple people say the same thing about my last wall (4 sx 15s) and those lasted over two years, until I sold them, they never blew.

Sometimes I wish I could smell, most times I don't. Especially when farts come into play, lmao. People cannot get me back when I fart all over them. :spiteful: In the past it was amazing what I had to do to prove to people that I could not smell. Sticking my head in a cooler with a bear hide in it (back when I lived in Alaska). Friends couldn't get within 10 feet of it, here I am sticking my head in it like it's nothing. Same goes for ammonia and mekp.

Edited by dr hypothesis

2001 Chevy Impala

Eclipse CD7200 mkii

Cactus Sounds 5kw

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi BTL 18s (walled)

ID 6.5s (2 sets)

Iraggi 320 amp Alt

XS Power Batts

KnuKonceptz Wiring

MidwestSPL Scores:

152.0 Advanced 2