Second Skin Audio

Re Mt's Asdaily Drivers, Do The Preform Well ?

hey steve, love what you do man,i got 2 18'' sx's right now from RE Audio. 2600 rms currently, ill be going to 6k rms at 12v, and running mla module to raise voltage. with the amps im using they will be on 3000-4500 rms each.

im looking at MT'S and mark from RE has offered me a good price, but i cant find out enough from people who own them as to how they preform, can they be used as daily drivers ? what pair of 18's would you recomend for the amount of rms i will be throwing there way if not the mt's ?

thanks for your time steve, and everybody else who owns mt's and chimes in, if by not meant for daily driving just means lower sq that is ok. I am sorry i started this thread in the wrong area, just would like some disscussion regarding them, as would anybody with thier peers b4 making a large purchase.

i want to make sure i get all the facts before making up my mind a mistake i have made before, and wont make again. i hope u all can appreciate that.

there doesnt seem to be to many other 18''s for the price i can get the mt's for, i need a pair that can handle 3-4k rms each daily. thanks for all of your time hopefully somebody who is closeto steve and knows why he made the switch would help alot possibly.

whats this about his smd aa woofer ?

-andrew leckie

smdsignature.jpg

I ran MT's for over a year in my daily driver. Nice subs. BTL's with cooling and the long coil are much better for playing music.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Good subs, but there are better ones for music.

I had a pair and heat was always an issue.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

alot of people ran MTs before some of the new companies came out with super subs like the BTL and such, not so much anymore with RE's price hike

i had 2 15s and a 18, both were awesome subs, my BTL was better for daily like stated, but MTs still did fine

how cheap is he getting them to you for? back when they were selling direct the prices on 18s were mid-high $400's IIRC

04 Explorer

Kenwood DDX812

Hertz MLK2 Active

Rockford T40001bd

Rockford T6004

Rockford T4002

Rockford 3Sixty.2

4x DC LVL 4 12s

HO Alt

Summer 09': Operation pull wall out and put something smaller in...DONE!!

Build link

Photobucket

alot of people ran MTs before some of the new companies came out with super subs like the BTL and such, not so much anymore with RE's price hike

i had 2 15s and a 18, both were awesome subs, my BTL was better for daily like stated, but MTs still did fine

how cheap is he getting them to you for? back when they were selling direct the prices on 18s were mid-high $400's IIRC

can i be put in touch with scott through thease forums to obtain 2 FI Audio BTL's with all the options, he has been very hard to get ahold of ive only been able too once, and i am worried about customer service because of that.

I dont want heat to be an issue, but i also want thease things to handle alot of RMS, can the MT's take more than the BTL's ?

heat seems to be an issue with my SX's that took a very long time to get under control. The price he is offering me is confidential sorry, i cannot give it out. But it is a good deal, this is why i created this thread. I Am sorry if some of yout hink iam trolling, but i am not.

I want to make sure i get the best possible woofers for this installation upgrade to give me the best preformance in competitions.

So are the BTL's better than MT's for SPL & power handling ability ? RE audio doesnt really list there RMS on their woofers.

But yeah, main reason i went back to take a look at the MT's was because i simply couldnt get ahold of anybody at FI audio to get the communication going and the sale lined up.

I dont want to pop a pair of MT's feeding them 3000-4500rms each, using them daily oviously i will probably have to tune it down a bit and use it in reserve when it comes to that much power. But if heat is being an issue for other people with RE audio products it could be worth a second guess.

Although like i said, my SX's havent over-heated in along time although it took ALOT of babying to get them to that point.

So yeah, if i could get in more stable contact with scott, i might go with the BTL's as they seem to be just pure beasts.

Thanks guys for generating some debate on this its very helpfull for me !

Edited by knowledgestick
smdsignature.jpg

well the MT dosent have any fancy cooling channels or anything special like the BTL, most people ran 2000-3000 to them for daily, meade used to use them with a good amt of power, dont know how they held up though, BTL is gonna have agood bit more xmax also, which dosent mean that much but the MT does use a short coil

both can take a ton of power for burps

but 4000 is alot of power for 1 sub no matter which ones you decide on, 3000 is more reasonable but still a ton of power, there is only so much power a 3" coil can take continuous

if it is truly a good deal on the MTs then go that route, they will still beat like hell, but if money isnt that much difference then there are better daily suited subwoofers

if your having probelms with the SX overheating with 2600 for the pair you might need to rethink running 3000+per sub

Edited by bamaboy

04 Explorer

Kenwood DDX812

Hertz MLK2 Active

Rockford T40001bd

Rockford T6004

Rockford T4002

Rockford 3Sixty.2

4x DC LVL 4 12s

HO Alt

Summer 09': Operation pull wall out and put something smaller in...DONE!!

Build link

Photobucket

if it is truly a good deal on the MTs then go that route, they will still beat like hell, but if money isnt that much difference then there are better daily suited subwoofers

if your having probelms with the SX overheating with 2600 for the pair you might need to rethink running 3000+per sub

3000 per sub WILL NOT be applyed to the SX's only the upgrade subwoofers i purchase.

what other daily suited subwoofers do you think that could handle that power ?

also the Sx's are only reciving 1300 RMS each and they DO NOT over heat anymore,i had a myraid of problems from when future shop did my install that was leading to the exessive thermal build-up, once i replaced all the wires/grounds, a new head unit and got into tuning the amplifier propperly they didnt heat up no more, also the new ported baffle. (hope thats the right word)

Anyways, i know the BTL's have all the cooling options, but it is so hard to get in touch with them to begin any dialouge and lead toa sale. They dont even have a phone number and that kinda bothers me if somthing goes wrong with them :(

I have seen alot of people who used to use them switch over to BTL, i am curious if it is because heat was an issue for all thease people who played them continiously or if it was just because FI offered them better sponsorship who knows,

It is great to have you guys to be able to talk about this with and make sure i make the best choice possible. I will be deffinatly using them for more than burps so the MT's would need to be able to hold up to 3000 RMS atleast daily each, does anybody know why RE audio doesnt list there RMS really of any of their woofers ? please list some other brands so i can look into them that would be able to handle the power i am looking to feed them, BTW wasnt the new subwoofer steve meade was designing rated at 3600 RMS ?

Perhaps more woofers to break up the power would be the better route, like 4 15''s or somthing, any ideas would be great but i would much rather stick with the 2 18''s if people could list brands/models that would handle the RMS i am looking to put at them that would be great.

thanks guys !

-andrew

Edited by knowledgestick
smdsignature.jpg

Maybe you should look at the DC audio lvl5 18 inch sub, can handle a lot of power, and is a good daily sub.

Or a T3 audio T.S.N.S. 18 inch it will handle the power but i don't know if it soudn well, or even if it is a good daily sub.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.