Sonic Electronix

I have a clipping question I hope someone can help me with. I don't have an O scope YET.......but I replaced my 2 Xtant 1001d's with 1 Zapco 9.0 that has a clipping and "pre clipping" sensor. My question is has anyone used this and checked it with an O scope to see if it is accurate? Both my Zapco 4.0 and 9.0 have it and I set the amps to not clip at all. It's already much louder and I am happy but I want to make sure I am not doing any more damage (Like a dork before I found this website I had gains up, bass up everything up up up!)

Thanks!!

Starting From Scratch!!

If the voice coils both read the proper ohms when measured with a multimeter, and you don't see any signs of exerting its physical limits (holes in the cone, cones ripped from the suspension, etc), then the subwoofer/s is/are fine.

But I recommend using the chart below and making sure the AC Volts (when measured at the speaker terminals on the amp) never exceed the numbers on the chart (aka never exceeding RMS power)

RMSchart.jpg

Oh and turn off Bass Boost, and turn off loudness on your headunit. You can pound your subs as much as you want as long as you're not sending a clipped signal to them. Just don't exceed the AC voltage for your RMS rating.

Edited by dwz

you can take your multimeter after you have set your gains with a/c voltage, go back and flip it to d/c voltage, if you see any dc voltage you are distorting and or clipping.

dont think so, you will just get the "average" of the ac voltage

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

dont think so, you will just get the "average" of the ac voltage

enlighten me on how you will get the average of ac voltage, when your multimeter is set to dc voltage?

A cars electrical system is DC current (direct current), your amplifier takes dc voltage, and turns it into ac voltage (alternating current) which is what powers your speakers. After you properly set your gain using the ac voltage chart and flip your dmm to dc current (which is distortion and or clipping) will tell you. If you have any dc current being displayed that means to turn your gain and or bassboost down.

Ive done this for years before having a oscope.

enlighten me on how you will get the average of ac voltage, when your multimeter is set to dc voltage?

A cars electrical system is DC current (direct current), your amplifier takes dc voltage, and turns it into ac voltage (alternating current) which is what powers your speakers. After you properly set your gain using the ac voltage chart and flip your dmm to dc current (which is distortion and or clipping) will tell you. If you have any dc current being displayed that means to turn your gain and or bassboost down.

Ive done this for years before having a oscope.

Because even an AC wave will have a small DC component to it ;)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!