Second Skin Audio

Screws Or Nails?

do screws really add strength to an enclosure or is it just as good to use glue and a brad nailer?

I just use brad nailer and titebond. Screws can be used to reinforce it, but if theyre put too close together, it will actually weaken the strength of the wood, meaning it will crack easier. And it depends on the amount of power you're putting into it.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you internally brace your box, double baffle it, and use wood glue and brad nails, you should be fine up to whatever. I'm pretty sure Steve's box doesnt use screws, but I haven't checked out the build logs in a while, and can't see pics at school. Basically, screws aren't entirely necessary. Fiberglassing the joints on the inside would do a hell of a lot more than screws would anyway.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

i have always been told screws are only used to hold stuff together while the glue dries, because once the WOOD glue dries then the two pieces are chemically bonded together, making the screws more or less useless...if u got a brad nailer then bust that bad boy out, it would be a hell of a lot faster, just adjust the pressure so u dont send a nail a foot deep in the wood...lol

i likes me some audio stuff...

do screws really add strength to an enclosure or is it just as good to use glue and a brad nailer?

I suppose it does add some, but in reality if your using a good wood glue, the screw is worthless once the glue dries.

i only use screws to make the joints tight and pull them together. The glue is stronger than the wood.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

Archived