Sonic Electronix

well my story goes like this after about 10 years away from the car audio scene, i found some of Steve's video's and i started doing my home work about the new epuipment out and about ect.

so i finally bought a Rockford t1000-bd and a RE SE 15 (2ohm)dvc. wired to the spec

Then i built a 4 cu.ft. "L ported" enclosure that would fit in my 01 alero's trunk. i have all rockford wires.

It has worked great for about 4 months then last night on my way into work i was jammin for like 5 mins max. trying to get in the mood to be at work and the system went flat(no bass) and all kinds of smoke started rolling out of the box so i shut the system off and pulled over and sure as sh!@ the woofer was hot as hell!

the gain on the amp is set at 1/4. i do use the remote bass knob the amp came with.

can anyone comment on why this could have happened?

what should i do know? please no insults!

upon closer inspection the fuse on the amp seems to have melted a "very little" i will get the amp tested this week and see where it goes from there. is it worth fixing if need be?

Thank you

Dave

Edited by bonez1203

Kenwood KDC-X792 Mb quart 4x6

Mb quart 4x6 front stage

MB quart 3way 6x9

0/1 ga. Rockford wire

The Big 3. 0/1 ga.

Rockford t1000bd broke

RE SE 2ohm DVC 15"

4 cu ft ported enclosure

600 rms sub on prob about 1400rms not really hard to understand what happened

yeah i think you have a point. time for a FI?

Kenwood KDC-X792 Mb quart 4x6

Mb quart 4x6 front stage

MB quart 3way 6x9

0/1 ga. Rockford wire

The Big 3. 0/1 ga.

Rockford t1000bd broke

RE SE 2ohm DVC 15"

4 cu ft ported enclosure

if ur fuses melted that makes it easy:

when u dont have a sufficent electrical to back up ur amp... the voltage drops... thus the amp pulls more amperage

then you used the bass knob, which really u dont need, at all... and likely u were playing music that was distorted, thus ur sub overheated by the dc waves being sent thru it

you also have a large box for that sub... well personally i would have done 4cuft also but since thats at the high end of box volume, it will also take less power to achieve the same output

so in 3cuft you could have given it 750-800w... in 4cuft i wouldnt really go over 700 just because the sub doesnt need more than 650-700ish

you also didnt mention ur tuning or port surface area... if u tuned high, and played low songs like White Girl and Put On, u could have also damaged the sub mechanically

two se's would have been perfect on that amp fyi

food for thought*

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

yeah i think you have a point. time for a FI?

Probably or dc audio or ascendant audio or audioque subs.

At decafcappucinno i think it's just because it's too much power, because there was magic smoke.

Edited by kirill007

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

if ur fuses melted that makes it easy:

when u dont have a sufficent electrical to back up ur amp... the voltage drops... thus the amp pulls more amperage

x2, if your voltage was terrible, theres no point in buying a more expensive speaker and then end up blowing it also from undervolting.

At decafcappucinno i think it's just because it's too much power, because there was magic smoke.

you can get smoke from overpowering a speaker with a CLEAN signal, overpowering with a clipped signal, playing a clean signal with low voltage, which makes the amp clip.

Edited by Krannyman92

you can get smoke from overpowering a speaker with a CLEAN signal, overpowering with a clipped signal, playing a clean signal with low voltage, which makes the amp clip.

I replied to the mechanical limits part. ;)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

you can clip a sub all day long as long as the mechanical/thermal limits arent exceeded...

Try a smaller amp or a bigger sub next time. Set your gains correctly and i dont see this problem happening again anytime soon

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D