Sundown Audio

Setting Gain.

k3n12ock

that chart is the specs for the amps, it tells you nothing about when your amp is going to clip. Thats what an O-scope does.....

and when you set gains, setting them to where there is no clipping is the name of the game.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

40? whats supposed to be at 40? what are you talking about?

anyhow, it appears to me that the link you showed us is for JL audio amps ONLY, where they already know what voltage each of their particular models clip. Its a mostly useless tutorial without having a JL amp (if im lookin at that right).

You need an oscilloscope, or you will never know when your Soundstream amp is going to clip (the pcx1000 is SS right?). Also, that "turn the deck up to 3/4" is crap too, you need an o-scope so you can get the most out of your deck also - because you need to know for SURE where it clips also.

as far as gains are concerned, i dont see a dmm being of much use UNLESS you are MATCHING gains in a multiple sub-amp setup.

Yes that amp is SS. I found that tutorial on here and then I tried the one that enemyofsilence linked me on that thread

RMSchart.jpg

Either way, I don't have an oscope.

DAMN. Steve posted twice on my thread :D Can I say, DEMO in December PLZ? Anyway, someone is selling an old OSCOPE on craigslist but I don't want to spend that money and use it just once or twice. I wonder if since Home Depot rents tools etc. if they have a Oscope I could rent out.

Edited by k3n12ock

yeah that chart is more or less used to show what power is present at the given ohm load. (i tried taking that bottom white section out...but it's stuck everywhere lol). it doesnt show what an amp is capable of. nor power after box rise. if you KNOW your amp can produce the power at the given impedance, then imo using the chart is better than blindly turning the gain if you dont have an oscope to use.

It's all so flawed because of the 'unhook all subs' part. Even with a scope. Amps make way more clean voltage when they have no current flowing through them... if you were to do it properly you would connect a 1 ohm dummy load and measure the rail-to-rail DC voltage of your amplifier so you knew where it would clip anyway.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

yeah that chart is more or less used to show what power is present at the given ohm load. (i tried taking that bottom white section out...but it's stuck everywhere lol). it doesnt show what an amp is capable of. nor power after box rise. if you KNOW your amp can produce the power at the given impedance, then imo using the chart is better than blindly turning the gain if you dont have an oscope to use.

Here's the chart without the white bro.

RMSchart-nodirections.jpg

that chart is the specs for the amps, it tells you nothing about when your amp is going to clip. Thats what an O-scope does.....

and when you set gains, setting them to where there is no clipping is the name of the game.

Is this something stereo shops can do? Do you know of any shops in the 916 who can knock this out?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Is this something stereo shops can do? Do you know of any shops in the 916 who can knock this out?

Isn't Meade from 916 area?

Also, that "turn the deck up to 3/4" is crap too, you need an o-scope so you can get the most out of your deck also - because you need to know for SURE where it clips also.

as far as gains are concerned, i dont see a dmm being of much use UNLESS you are MATCHING gains in a multiple sub-amp setup.

The majority of us though don't know someone who has an O-scope, let alone know how to use one so we have no choice but to do it by ear.
Isn't Meade from 916 area?
I don't know where he's from but he lives out here. Edited by SQMonte

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f