Second Skin Audio

dvc sub on 1 coil?

im sure this has been discussed before but i couldnt dig anything up on it with the search button.... especially since the title has mostly 3 letter words... lol...

so assuming you give the woofer half its rated power to one coil... example.... 1000rms dvc sub... just run 500rms to one coil...

would it damage the woofer? please give reasons to support your answer...

also i have heard if you do run a woofer on one coil... you should connect the negative and positive leads of the unused coil... is there any truth to this?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

damn good lil ?? lol from what ive been told you can run a single coil but the + from 1 coil and- from other im not sure of but will be watchin to find out myself :rolleyes:

ok and assuming we are using the example sub.... would the 500rms on the one coil have enough force to make the woofer reach its xmax?

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

can you do it physically..sure. should you do it...absolutely not.

running off 1 coil changes the T/S parameters and completely changes how the sub will perform. you will usually get a muddy, sloppy bass performance out of it.

its a waste of time and equipment. dont do it

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

Its bad for the woofer to use only 1 coil.

Unless 1 coil is already gone making the speaker pratically junk.

as for the driver reaching its proper xmax, that relies mostly on power, and box.

A bigger box with 500wrms will reach full xmax before the same sub in a smaller box with the same power.

isnt something i plan on doing.... just one of those questions thats been rolling around in the back of my head... lol.... call me curious george....

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

damn good stuff to know huh. so i was told wrong lol but was told years ago

damn good lil ?? lol from what ive been told you can run a single coil but the + from 1 coil and- from other im not sure of but will be watchin to find out myself :rolleyes:

that wont work, thats like taking 2 svc subs and hooking 1 wire to each and expecting them to play :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

that wont work, thats like taking 2 svc subs and hooking 1 wire to each and expecting them to play :)

haha yeah i slipped huh, was thinkin of wiring a pair of SVC subs in series... or something lol im buzzed up a lil and thinkion is off a notch. i better sleep :rolleyes: