Sonic Electronix

The Need-to-Know Basics for Building a Box?

Could someone point me somewhere that will tell me everything I need to know about building a box, choosing subs and amps, tuning and all that jazz?

I'm completely knew, and honestly have no idea wtf is going on.

I need like a vocabulary list or something... haha.

So yeah, any help for a noob is good.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

first thing is that wood glue (Titebond) is way better than any kind of liquid nails/silicone.

measure 10 times cut once

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

go slow the straighter the cuts the better the box.

I recommend getting a design from someone since it's your first system.

I also recommend starting small and then building up to get louder as you see fit.

what I would do is get 2 10" subs run them in a sealed box off of rms power. Then when you get used to running them and are comfortable with them you can try adding more power or a ported box

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

See how much space you want to give up in your car

Google "RE enclosure calculator" then you can play around with the dimensions you have

The ports were confusing to me, but pretty much what you want for a normal daily setup is 33-34hz

The enclosure calculator will tell you what the tuning is (you can play with the port sizes (length 1 and 2) to get the right tuning)

So once you figure out how much space you want/can give up, pick some subs that will fit that size.

DCsoundlab.com, Ficaraudio.com, Audioque.com are just a few great sub makers.

--Most subs will have a suggested volume they need, the calculator will show you the volume in cubic feet...So if you can get the box to 3 cu ft, you will want subs that require about 3 cu ft from what everyone has told me.

Once you pick your subs you will need an amp, your amp needs to match the RMS watts (some subs can take way more than they are rated for). Not sure how much you know, but that basically how powerful the sub is.

Say you pick a sub that has 800 watts RMS and has a 1 ohm impedance, then you should probably look for an amp that can power 800 watts x 1 at 1 ohm...browse amps and subs and you will see.

Then you have to wire it, best thing I found to do was just to buy an amplifier wiring kit, make sure you get a good brand like Rockford Fosgate, because if the wires are cheap and small the nice sub and amp you put in wont be able to work to its full capacity.

I am a noob too, but thats some of the stuff I have learned so far.

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

The ports were confusing to me, but pretty much what you want for a normal daily setup is 33-34hz

Box tuning depends on what subs you go with also.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

don't use the re calculator it is junk and most of the times wrong

Could you teach me how to do it without the calc then? :give_rose:

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

That's for all the help, the more the better.

Noob questions coming up.

What's RMS?

I could probably google it, but if you guys want to help with personal knowledge, its most like more reliable.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Archived