Sonic Electronix

The Need-to-Know Basics for Building a Box?

you really wanna see cause it's not fun

here is a better one than re I do it by hand and check with this

here is the work by hand

Vas = Equivalent air compliance (litres)

Qts = total Q of the driver at its resonant frequency

Fs = resonance frequency of the driver (Hz)

Dv = internal diameter of port (cm)

then,

Vb = 20*Qts^3.3*Vas

Fb = (Vas/Vb)^0.31*Fs

F3 = (Vas/Vb)^0.44*Fs

dBpeak = 20*LOG(Qts*(Vas/Vb)^0.3/0.4)

where,

Vb = net box volume (litres)

Fb = box resonant frequency (Hz)

F3 = -3dB frequency (Hz)

dBpeak = maximum peak or dip in system response

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

don't use the re calculator it is junk and most of the times wrong

i've used it on 5 boxes and all sounded exactly how i wanted them to

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

That's for all the help, the more the better.

Noob questions coming up.

What's RMS?

I could probably google it, but if you guys want to help with personal knowledge, its most like more reliable.

root means squared

basically what your sub will take all day long power wise peak power is not relevant for daily systems

here are some I have done

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

i've used it on 5 boxes and all sounded exactly how i wanted them to

have you used any others to compare. I have had to fix like 8or9 designs from the "re calculator"

mcintoshsigz.png

Some guys here could write book(s) on that. There's so much to box building.

the12volt.com Enclosure Calculators: a group of good calculators, IMO not as handy as the RE calculator below though.

RE Enclosure Calculator: Really good for building your first box, does most of the math for you, depending on your sub and space allowance how big you build the box.

Good Post of Audio Stuff: kinda off topic but a source of good reading material for car audio.

I'm sure alot of other guys could tell you lots more. Use MDF not plywood!

use either mdf will be cheaper for your first build I only use birch now though it's stronger and lighter

mcintoshsigz.png

Are there any?

I would buy it, no lie.

there are alot I'll get you a link to one

That's pretty much burned into my head, I've seen it written here quite a few times.

12volt is alot closer but harder to use I guess

mcintoshsigz.png

Archived