Second Skin Audio

Tuned to 28hz and Regret It, In a Way

brsteinbach

My daily box is tuned to 37hz and will play 30hz louder than most people's setups that are tuned to 30hz. Port to box ratio is a good indication on how low a box will play. For example I have a 7.2 cube box for 2 15's that has a total of 75.36sqin of port which comes out to be 10.46sqin per cuft. The reason I can still play low is because I only have a total of 10.46sqin per cuft. You could be tuned to 30hz and have 12.9sqin per cuft and more than likely it won't be as loud as a setup that is tuned higher that has a lower port to box ratio.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Ok cool, good to know. Now I have to 3 peoples opinion on 35hz. Also I forgot about Bigpimpin, He's tuned to 34hz and gets way down.

I was tuned at 38 with my hdc3 and it still kills the lows.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

i tune my axis boxes to 30 hz and down, next one will be at 22, its the fs of the sub and i wanna see if that does anything for me. im like you and have a big collection of c and s stuff, but my boxes do great on rock stuff too. it just loves to go low. late night tip c & s is wat i demo with, gets reall low. I also like to build boxes with interchangble ports, my box i have now can be sealed, or i have 3 different port selections, 2 are for comps though

Thanks for the feed back guy's.

I really need to upgrade also, 600rms and 2 12" Infinity Best Buy subs aren't cuttin it anymore.

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....

My daily box is tuned to 37hz and will play 30hz louder than most people's setups that are tuned to 30hz. Port to box ratio is a good indication on how low a box will play. For example I have a 7.2 cube box for 2 15's that has a total of 75.36sqin of port which comes out to be 10.46sqin per cuft. The reason I can still play low is because I only have a total of 10.46sqin per cuft. You could be tuned to 30hz and have 12.9sqin per cuft and more than likely it won't be as loud as a setup that is tuned higher that has a lower port to box ratio.

but you have aeros right? they're a lil more efficient than a slot/rectangle port yes? although i see what you're sayin

but you have aeros right? they're a lil more efficient than a slot/rectangle port yes? although i see what you're sayin

Yes I do have aeros, but let's say that each box has aeros. The one with the lower port ratio will still play the lows below tuning very loud due to that low amount of port area. Having a smaller amount of port area affects the rolloff directly above and below tuning. The lower the port ratio the less the rolloff and the higher the port ratio the higher the rolloff. Thus showing that someone that may be tuned low with a ton of port area won't get as much output at a given frequency as someone tuned higher with less port area and less rolloff.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

the box that came with my FI BTL 12" is tuned to 32hz, but the port has been built up to reduce the area to tune it lower, it was originally tuned to 35hz, and my last box was tuned to 34 and aside from a couple tracks it sounded louder on the same amp, so i feel your pain and want to take out the built up area tp raise the tuning to something a touch more reasonable for music,

2005 Grand PrixSource: StockFronts: Stock 6.5 ComponentsRears: Stock 6x9Subwoofer: FI BTL 12" Fully optionedSubwoofer amplifier: Kenwood KAC-7203 bridged @ 4ΩEnclosure: 3.41cuft tuned to 33hz

Yes I do have aeros, but let's say that each box has aeros. The one with the lower port ratio will still play the lows below tuning very loud due to that low amount of port area. Having a smaller amount of port area affects the rolloff directly above and below tuning. The lower the port ratio the less the rolloff and the higher the port ratio the higher the rolloff. Thus showing that someone that may be tuned low with a ton of port area won't get as much output at a given frequency as someone tuned higher with less port area and less rolloff.

yeah i understood, but silly me i was reading your post as you were comparing it to his box, tho you never said anything about it lol. you just compared different port area. reading > me sometimes :D

but going into detail was cool too ;)

Personally anything below 35 is a waste.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

Archived