Second Skin Audio

Underpowering Blow Subs? LOL!

So this guy is arguing that underpowering a speaker will blow it. I told him its all about gains/volume/electrical and distortion. I then asked him what happened when the volume was on low? he responded with this

"Lol I'm not gunna start an arguing war here, u obviously have no I dea wut ur talking about then, RMS stands for root mean square in otherwords u need 100 watts rms means the amp needs to give the speaker 100 rms if underpowered the speaker doesn't have the effeciency to drve the motor structure and the voice coils will heat quicker to compensate, on the other hand too much power over rms will result in liquidation on the coil and cause the motor structure to seize which can blow the speaker either way, clearly I know wut I am talking about until I see "advanced level MECP" "certfcations" or proof you have been installing for more than 16 years full time don't say it's "all about gains" because u clearly are not correct"

Edited by tech2332

tech2332.png

My Official Feedback Thread

PSN - tech2332

Games for PS3: Killzone 2, BattleField: Bad Company 2! Add me to play either!

Is he a youtuber?

i like how he said wat rms stood for.. then thought that meant he explained it.

but ive had lots of youtubers say all that.. i think none of them realize that youd have to run you equipment full tilt all the time or your gonna blow your stuff.

but when ppl do say "i blew my kicker L5 and i only had a 400 watt amp on it.. its rated at 600."

They think they underpowered it and caused it to blow, when really they turned the gain all the way up and send a big clipped signal to the sub and burnt it up.

Correct me if im wrong but isent it more common for subs blowing up underpowered then overpowered?

That may be true because of people being stupid. They want the 500 watt sub to get louder with their 250 watt amp so they turn up the amp and send clipped power causing it to blow. It's not the underpowering, but the clipped/distorted signal.

Edited by tech2332

tech2332.png

My Official Feedback Thread

PSN - tech2332

Games for PS3: Killzone 2, BattleField: Bad Company 2! Add me to play either!

Correct me if im wrong but isent it more common for subs blowing up underpowered then overpowered?

in a way, but that is because people crank the gains too high, causing distortion, which causes more heat etc

think volume knob.. you listen to yours with the volume down sometimes right?

they never blew from that did they?

I believe the OP was trying to let this person know that when someone has an amp that is not even close to the subs RMS, they tend to crank the gain and bass boost to compensate thinking its ok...they end up clipping the signal and blowing it cuz its not clean power.

edit: you guys are faster than me haha

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco