16.20 volts at idle

quick question. i searched on here for an answer but i need an answer like right now. my amp has all of a sudden been acting funny buy cutting out on me. i check the voltage today and with the truck off it was 14.59 and then when i started the truck up it was 16.20. is this going to cause problems and if so do i need to get a new alt. its an 2001 tahoe with the factory 130amp alt.

quick question. i searched on here for an answer but i need an answer like right now. my amp has all of a sudden been acting funny buy cutting out on me. i check the voltage today and with the truck off it was 14.59 and then when i started the truck up it was 16.20. is this going to cause problems and if so do i need to get a new alt. its an 2001 tahoe with the factory 130amp alt.

man that's a pretty high voltage for idle and while running. i'm sure someone will be knowledgable on this.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

leave your car on for 10 or so minutes and monitor the voltage at the battery, if it gets higher it could be a faulty voltage regulator

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Alternator has a built in regulator on that type of vehicle. I wouldnt be leaving it on to long with that kindof voltage either. 2001 GM vehicle's computers are not made for 16volts. Have any check engine lights on yet. Im suspecting you will be getting one for over voltage code. If you DMM is not crapy. Whens the last time you replaced the battery in the DMM.

Do you have another battery or vehicle to test that DMM with? If so, do it.

its the same meter i always use. i tested on another vehicle and it showed 14.4 volts . my amp is a jl audio 1000/1. this just started and i guess its time for a new alt? i have alittle battery under the back seat maybe that helped to cause this problem but the battery has been in there for a while now

its the same meter i always use. i tested on another vehicle and it showed 14.4 volts . my amp is a jl audio 1000/1. this just started and i guess its time for a new alt? i have alittle battery under the back seat maybe that helped to cause this problem but the battery has been in there for a while now

I wouldn't drive it if that is the case man, you are literally smoking your batteries if you do that for long periods of time. Some battery chargers that trickle will dip up to 15.9-16.2 on there for 3 hours on acid batteries from my exp. For car audio batteries, or any style of AGM batteries in general... 15.3 is pushing it. I'd get it checked out. See if the vreg is adjustable. if not check for shorted wires on the harness going to the alternator. If not.... You can but replacement voltage regulators for around 10-15 bucks depending on your model. springhillautoelectric should have it in stock for you.

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex