16.20 volts at idle

Alternator has a built in regulator on that type of vehicle. I wouldnt be leaving it on to long with that kindof voltage either. 2001 GM vehicle's computers are not made for 16volts. Have any check engine lights on yet. Im suspecting you will be getting one for over voltage code. If you DMM is not crapy. Whens the last time you replaced the battery in the DMM.

They may not be built for it, but they are designed to tolerate up to 24 volts for a few seconds.

OTOH, is the check vehicle light coming on?

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

I wouldn't drive it if that is the case man, you are literally smoking your batteries if you do that for long periods of time. Some battery chargers that trickle will dip up to 15.9-16.2 on there for 3 hours on acid batteries from my exp. For car audio batteries, or any style of AGM batteries in general... 15.3 is pushing it. I'd get it checked out. See if the vreg is adjustable. if not check for shorted wires on the harness going to the alternator. If not.... You can but replacement voltage regulators for around 10-15 bucks depending on your model. springhillautoelectric should have it in stock for you.

i doubt it is adjustable its a factory alt. is this the reason my amp is cutting in and out also? i also disconnected the sub amp and the voltage was the same.

i doubt it is adjustable its a factory alt. is this the reason my amp is cutting in and out also? i also disconnected the sub amp and the voltage was the same.

Yeah, some amplifiers start acting up at higher voltages. Your car is fine with 16 volts. Most modern cars can handle quite a bit more. Mine throws codes at around 16.5. I'm more concerned about your batteries though. I'd look into replacing the voltage regulator since the alternator may still be charging fine. In the mean time you can go to autozone and have them do a test on it for you, just to make sure it's doing rated amperage and such before doing anything. Either way it's not super costly and the voltage regulator is most likely is the culprit, I'd post up something in mechman or dc's section to confirm before throwing money into a puddle though. They are the true guru's.

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

Yeah, some amplifiers start acting up at higher voltages. Your car is fine with 16 volts. Most modern cars can handle quite a bit more. Mine throws codes at around 16.5. I'm more concerned about your batteries though. I'd look into replacing the voltage regulator since the alternator may still be charging fine. In the mean time you can go to autozone and have them do a test on it for you, just to make sure it's doing rated amperage and such before doing anything. Either way it's not super costly and the voltage regulator is most likely is the culprit, I'd post up something in mechman or dc's section to confirm before throwing money into a puddle though. They are the true guru's.

i pmd dc audio so im waiting to hear from him. i was going to take the alt to advanced auto tomorrow and see what its doing. i wanted to get a high amp alt anyway so this would me a good time if any.

lol i hope you sent a msg to DC Power not DC Audio :) 2 diff companys bro, but either way good luck with the problem, let us know how it goes, and what is the problem :)

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

yeah i meant dc power

ok so ive called the parts stores and none of them sell a voltage regulator by itself so now it looks like im stuck having to buy a reamanufactured one to get me by cause i need my truck. that is unless someone in missouri has one a high output alt for sale. i live in st louis near south county. if someone does please get ahold of me.

I also would wonder about that DMM...

x2 i have a hard time believing a 12v battery would rest at 14.6

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

x2 i have a hard time believing a 12v battery would rest at 14.6

Thats the frist thing I thought....

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...