Some questions about Over Clocking ?

First off, no. I don't think I will want / need to overclock. I'm not a gamer, and my new setup should be about 100X's faster than my old one, anyway.

One of the things that seems odd to me though, is that PC parts manufacturers (MBO's, Processors, Memory, etc) actually advertise / bragg about how their parts can be overclocked to the max ! Isn't this a lot harder on those parts ?

I mean, I bought my brand new F150 last year, and Ford makes it totally clear, that anything you do to pump it up (example; adding a tuning chip to reprogram it) will "VOID" your warranty.

Another thing, if it is in fact harder on PC parts, to push them way beyond their limits, how about getting parts that are just WAY badder to begin with, and not having to push them as hard, to do the same "over the top" job ?

.....like I do with my stereo system. Yea', I know I'm the oddball with this too. My amp is stable on the 4 stereo channels down to 2ohms, but I'm running them at 4ohms. And it's stable to 1ohm on the sub ch, but I'm running 2ohms.

Yes, I know I could bump up my power by cutting my resistence in half, but I'd rather just use more / bigger subs, more mids/highs, and bigger, badder amps > Still driven at a cool, easy resistence load, for clarity, efficiency, and longevity of the amps.

Couldn't this same train of thought be applied to PC's ? Or is their something I'm missing ?

Just curious,

Thanks,

Fish

See heres the thing Fishy, With in the price of the product your buying, either it be RAM,MOBO,VIDEO CARD, CPU, etc....... is the cost of the warranty. See what im saying? For the most part, the big companies offer a "FREE" lifetime warranty, well as we all know, nothing is free, it is included within the price of the product. So now that they have this great warranty, they can NOW advertise that there product can scale to xxxx, or has the ability to scale to xxxxx..... Follow me on this. RAM is a little different, On the PCB of the memory, is what makes the difference in GREAT ram, to GOOD ram, to just OK ram. A ram stick that uses a 8 layer PCB, is TOP OF THE LINE. 6 layer PCB would be GOOD, and a 6 layer PCB single sided would be OK ram. ALso the memory IC's make a HUGE difference......Samsung, Elipda, Crucial, etc.... all scale differently with different amounts of Vdimm. A CPU is typically different as-well, as a CPU has "gates that open and close 10000000000000 times a second, and AMD uses SOI (Strained silicone) and Intel now uses Hafnium, and High K silicone with is a much faster "OPENING AND CLOSING" then SOI, there is of course MUCH MORE detailed info, but you get the point. Overclocking to a safe level can be done with relative ease, and no harm to your stuff, cause at these levels of OCing, you can still use all stock voltages. Its when OCing gets to the point where you need to really pump some high Vcore into items like ram,cpu,gpu,nb,sb, etc.... then this is where the danger "COULD" accure if airflow/proper cooling isnt up to par. When you need dry ice, watercooling, phase cooling, then im game, the rest is small stuff ;)

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Right on. That all makes sense to me. I'm always talking crap about > "Free xxxx with purchase of....." :) Yea' right ! If anybody gave anything away for truly free, they'd be out of business in no time.

Now you have me curious as to how my memory is designed ? Like I said, OCZ claims it to be their highest series, of many offered. But I could not find the # of layers, or construction type listed ?

Hmmm,

Peace,

Fish

See heres the thing Fishy, With in the price of the product your buying, either it be RAM,MOBO,VIDEO CARD, CPU, etc....... is the cost of the warranty. See what im saying? For the most part, the big companies offer a "FREE" lifetime warranty, well as we all know, nothing is free, it is included within the price of the product. So now that they have this great warranty, they can NOW advertise that there product can scale to xxxx, or has the ability to scale to xxxxx..... Follow me on this. RAM is a little different, On the PCB of the memory, is what makes the difference in GREAT ram, to GOOD ram, to just OK ram. A ram stick that uses a 8 layer PCB, is TOP OF THE LINE. 6 layer PCB would be GOOD, and a 6 layer PCB single sided would be OK ram. ALso the memory IC's make a HUGE difference......Samsung, Elipda, Crucial, etc.... all scale differently with different amounts of Vdimm. A CPU is typically different as-well, as a CPU has "gates that open and close 10000000000000 times a second, and AMD uses SOI (Strained silicone) and Intel now uses Hafnium, and High K silicone with is a much faster "OPENING AND CLOSING" then SOI, there is of course MUCH MORE detailed info, but you get the point. Overclocking to a safe level can be done with relative ease, and no harm to your stuff, cause at these levels of OCing, you can still use all stock voltages. Its when OCing gets to the point where you need to really pump some high Vcore into items like ram,cpu,gpu,nb,sb, etc.... then this is where the danger "COULD" accure if airflow/proper cooling isnt up to par. When you need dry ice, watercooling, phase cooling, then im game, the rest is small stuff ;)

the quality of the PCB used on your mem, wont mean anything on your build. Your not looking for your ram to run 600+MHz using 2.4+Vdimm. You are going to be using your mem @ 1066 (533MHz) and nothing more. You will be hapy with what you have. Actually I forgot, your going to be using 8GB, so you might only beable to get the DDR1066 ram to a little over DDR900 (NB, and mem controller limitations on some motherboards when all 4 dimm slots are used comes to play here) But either way, DDR800 on 8GB's will suit you very nicely

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Another plus to overclocking is squeezing out the most performance for your dollar. Maybe you can't afford the latest and greatest, but with a handy bit of arithmetic you can get quite close. I purchased a nice little system that with a few tweaks here and there (and watercooling), can eat most mouthbreathing nerds beloved i7 setups.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Another plus to overclocking is squeezing out the most performance for your dollar. Maybe you can't afford the latest and greatest, but with a handy bit of arithmetic you can get quite close. I purchased a nice little system that with a few tweaks here and there (and watercooling), can eat most mouthbreathing nerds beloved i7 setups.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, but can it run Crysis on Max......

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

As already stated, overclocking is safe as long as you take precautions. Think about running a 1ohm stable amp at 1/2 or even 1/4 ohm. You should take precautions such as beefing up your electrical system. Same applies for PC Overclocking. Make sure you have a good / stable power supply to start with. Even if you aren't bumping up voltages, you want a stable source of power. Ram speed and timings are 2 things to look at when shopping as well. I have had very good luck with Geil and G-Skill brands (even their cheaper lines overclock well). Do some research on the processor before you buy one. The same intel processor can overclock like crap or you can get an extra ghz or more out of it, it all depends on the s-spec of the chip. You can find these at http://processorfinder.intel.com . Look on the overclocking forums and you will find users posting results with the different spec's they have tried and you will find out which ones overclock the best. Same goes for motherboards, you will see users posting which motherboards and chipsets they have had better luck with, even specific bios versionsl

The more homework you do up front, the better luck you will have with your results. Funny thing is that you could end up spending no more money on the good parts than you would have buying the not so good parts just by doing some research up front.

Edited by bobonit

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

off-topic, but the magnusson-moss act protects you from that ford bullshit, you can mod your car/truck all you want, only way they can void it is if they find what you did was a DIRECT result of the malfunction... so mod/chip away Fish.

/offtopic

The Setup

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

2 Alpine SWR-1222D's in 2 seperate boxes tuned to 33hz

1 Kicker ZX1001.1

Stock 140A Alt

Stock speakers

Ahh the good old days... hard volt-modding my AMD 400 and running it at 800mhz with a peltier and iced water setup...

The P4 805D for $90 beating every other chip on the market when you overclocked it by 50%...

And of course melting a perfectly good E6600 just after they came out because someone forgot to insulate inside the socket when cooling with Ln2...

Meh. Nowadays I just run with a tiny wee 20% overclock and I'm happy.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!