Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

The thing is, those old school amps and speakers were rated at peak and not rms, much like the sony xplod amps you find at wal-mart today.

If you want a modern equivalent stop looking so far up the chain. Chances are for what you're used to from back in the day, a 600 watt rms sub amp on a pair of bottom of the line subs will be fine for you. As well as a lot of headunits today can push nearly as much wattage per channel as you had to have external amps for back in the day.

The upgrading of alts, batteries, big 3, etc have came to be because of amps pushing 5 to 20 x more then the best amps around back then, and with all that extra wattage, comes extra draw.

How many times did you see an amp back in the day that required 200 to 300 amps worth of fusing ?

try the usamps line vlx400--vlx200 old RF power 1000 there are more just look and you will see

try the usamps line vlx400--vlx200 old RF power 1000 there are more just look and you will see

ive been looking trust me and i found a few "old school"stuff for decent prices ,but how is your electrical?Like i said i never had extra batts and high output alts.The alt is what would kill me"price wise".Bass on a budget.

ive been looking trust me and i found a few "old school"stuff for decent prices ,but how is your electrical?Like i said i never had extra batts and high output alts.The alt is what would kill me"price wise".Bass on a budget.

my electrical is a 300amp alt and some kinetik bats --look for some orion hcca amps like the -2100 275 250 thay do make alot of power and sound so good doing it - if you need any thing let me no if i can help you out---just1moreamp--

in my personal opinion... old schools r better for mids/highs and new is better for bass,, just my two cents

x3 !

That's what I run myself.... Old Shool MTX Road Thunder amps on the highs and new Hifonics Brutus amps on the subs. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Sure the old Orions made power... but for the 1200w you got out you had to put ~2000w in. People didn't know/care that their voltage was sucking ass because nobody had accurate digital voltmeters in their cars back then did they :lol:

A Sundown SAE-1200D will draw far LESS current than the Orion.

The reason all that old equipment didn't ruin your car was because, as mentioned above, it generally made sweet F all power :lol: 1000w was a HUGE amp back then. And before anyone starts, yes, you can run 1000w off a totally factory charging system, without a problem.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

i have done the IA20.1 [ vs ] the 2100hcca and the orion will eat it and shit it out in power and SQ -? are you saing the [D] class sounds better than the [AB] class amps. i have a lot of amps some [D] class most are [AB]class and the [d]class just dont sound as good at any power range.

i have done the IA20.1 [ vs ] the 2100hcca and the orion will eat it and shit it out in power and SQ -? are you saing the [D] class sounds better than the [AB] class amps. i have a lot of amps some [D] class most are [AB]class and the [d]class just dont sound as good at any power range.

I hope we are not starting up the class D vs class AB debate again. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

I have heard of Zed but mainly it was Zappco,Soundstream,Orion.Then you had your Pyramid and crap.Looking at your sig how does your stuff sound?Those amps are enexpensive and from what i see alot of people use them.

Zed also did some Hifonics and Crunch amps. I don't have the subs and sub amps hooked up yet, but the subs wanged before I did my box change.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

I don't think it was as loud as you remember it being. In 1990 I had two 15" MTX Terminators running on MAYBE 200 watts in a sealed box. I thought it was SO loud (and so did everybody else in this tiny town) but now everything is exponentially louder and we're just used to it. At least, that's the way I see it.

i agree

My 2 RE SE 12's I had outdid my friends old Orion XTR 15" dvc aand his box took up the entire back end of a civic hacth bak. it was a wall...

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

Archived