Jump to content

Remote start season really brings out the nut jobs


Recommended Posts

Posted

dont work at bestbuy or any shops, but i do installs for friends. i did one for my gf and a girl that live next to her found out and asked if i could hook hers up. So i told her after i get off saturday night i would. I get there to her telling me, "oh, i had my german friend hook it up already cuz i couldnt wait." So i said ok.. ill look it over and then listen to it. It was a 15" eclipse pro titanium, and id never heard one before. I look inside the car (mustang) to see a box just sitting there on the back seat.. not even a rigged up seatbelt to hold it in. I look at the wiring.. i cant rememer if it was through the door jam, but it wasnt run next to the console. not even tucked in. power, ground, remote and rcas, then strung around before it got to the amp. i turne the box around to see the amp and there is a cap screwed to the box, not wired up. I said good job for leavin it unhooked. I go to check if its clipping with my oscope and teh gain is all the way up. so i fix it, its turned down alot now.. i told her its turned up way too much, so it wont be as loud anymore. ok she says.. about an hour later she texts my gf and said her system sucks now cuz she can hear ppl talking when the sub is playin.. She wants me to put it back how it was. I say ok, but its not gonna be good for it, A little later she says nvm, i got the german guy to fix it..

Posted

I hated when I would tell people not to eff with their gains after I set them b/c they will blow their shit up, and a week later they would be back with burnt coils like "i left it how it was and it blew!"

I would always respond "no you didn't, I marked where I set the gain with a SHARPIE, and now it is turned all the way up."

"I DIDN'T DO THAT ZOMG WTF!!!"

"well it didn't turn itself up"

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

Posted

it sounds like you somehow reset your runtime, which is possible with some starters, if you look in the manual or look up the manual it should tell you how to set it

OT- i work at a audio shop an noticed this too! not for a starter but recently a lady came to get a deck installed cause "her radio didnt work"... she pulled around an the installers went to work.... she didnt have one speaker in her car...

lol, I have never saw a unit that has a 3 second run time http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

Posted

dont work at bestbuy or any shops, but i do installs for friends. i did one for my gf and a girl that live next to her found out and asked if i could hook hers up. So i told her after i get off saturday night i would. I get there to her telling me, "oh, i had my german friend hook it up already cuz i couldnt wait." So i said ok.. ill look it over and then listen to it. It was a 15" eclipse pro titanium, and id never heard one before. I look inside the car (mustang) to see a box just sitting there on the back seat.. not even a rigged up seatbelt to hold it in. I look at the wiring.. i cant rememer if it was through the door jam, but it wasnt run next to the console. not even tucked in. power, ground, remote and rcas, then strung around before it got to the amp. i turne the box around to see the amp and there is a cap screwed to the box, not wired up. I said good job for leavin it unhooked. I go to check if its clipping with my oscope and teh gain is all the way up. so i fix it, its turned down alot now.. i told her its turned up way too much, so it wont be as loud anymore. ok she says.. about an hour later she texts my gf and said her system sucks now cuz she can hear ppl talking when the sub is playin.. She wants me to put it back how it was. I say ok, but its not gonna be good for it, A little later she says nvm, i got the german guy to fix it..

Once I did an install for someone that after I gained it up, literally started crying because "IT DOESNT EVEN SOUND LIKE I HAVE SUBS!!!" Later on he told me he got it to sound "much better" by cranking the gain AND the bass boost. I just told him I wasn't responsible if stuff blew up and that I warned him not to do that. Kinda a rough spot huh? You want the customer to be happy but if they fuck their gear up then they go and badmouth you...

Too many projects, too little time...

Posted

While working at CCity a girl had a cheap walmart monitor installed. the next day she came back saying we need to fix her tail light because it went out and she almost got a ticket. Checked everything, and what do you know- it was a bad bulb. Too much effort to stop by autozone lol.

I let another guy install my remote start, didn't really check what was done just that it worked and everything was difficult for thieves to access. Once day I noticed I was having problems unlocking my vehicle. I popped the hood to check the fuse and noticed 8g was running from the alarm twisted to a tiny 12g inline fuse holder that had melted all the way through. I ended up having to run a new run of wire and decent fuse holder. Apparently a 60a fuse was jammed in a holder rated for 40a max, stamped right on the damn thing.

My brothers truck had the alternators internal regulator go up. He called me to ask "Is 20+ volts bad for my vehicle? I told him not to drive around like that, but he drove it for quite a while till the alt finally died.

The most irritating thing as an installer is when someone brings in something their friend tried to install, but screwed everything up. Had a guy come in for a simple cd player swap out, but after quoting him a price I realized he had chopped all his factory wiring inside his dash. In order to extend things and add a harness I would have the choice of a. removing the dash or b. working with needle nose pliers inside a single din hole to try to solder things. Took forever.

Just a few stories, but remote starts always bring out the crazy ones. Too many times had someone tell me one type of car just to find something totally different. I had someone tell me they were driving a full size work van, walked outside and saw a dodge caravan.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

Once I did an install for someone that after I gained it up, literally started crying because "IT DOESNT EVEN SOUND LIKE I HAVE SUBS!!!" Later on he told me he got it to sound "much better" by cranking the gain AND the bass boost. I just told him I wasn't responsible if stuff blew up and that I warned him not to do that. Kinda a rough spot huh? You want the customer to be happy but if they fuck their gear up then they go and badmouth you...

When people go buy whatever they want from some pawn shop then expect it to sound good it's sad. Buy an amp the size of a wireless router, a beat up kenwood 12 and a prefab sealed box and expect it to sound loud from their trunk :( Then they crank everything and turn off the filters to get "more" out of it. I've had multiple people tell me how much better it sounds to have words coming through their sub. :o

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Posted

i need to see whats wrong with my starter :(

it'll start the car but then the car will shut off after about 2-3 seconds after starting -_-

It either means your remote starter doesn't see the vehicle running or the vehicle thinks its being stolen. when you try to remote start it see if there is a blinking red light on the dash. If this is the case it means your transponder (computer chip)is not functioning properly. Try just sliding you key in the ignition, leave it in the off position, and activate your remote start. if it starts up and keeps running it most likely means that the bypass needs to be reprogramed or the transponer ring that circles your ignition cylinder is out of alighment and will need to be adjusted. Try this out and see how it goes.

Posted

I once had a guy come in with a Ford Excursion. He had stopped by the Farmer;s market and picked up a 6.5" bass tube with built in amp. I think the brand name was B.A.S.S. or something like that.

He wanted it installed but I explained that in his truck, he will probably never hear it and it would be a waste. I told him that I didnt wanna install something that he wouldnt like.

He said thats what he wanted and it will suit him just fine.

After trying to talk him out of it, I finally gave in and installed it. Had the sales guy ring him up and get it all set.

When he came back to pick up the truck when it was done, he went and took a listen, 2 minutes later he comes walking in in a huff, he says with an angry voice, "It sounds like Shit". I told him what I said before, he said he wanted us to take it out now.

Well, I told him before the install that we dont refund labor. But now he was demanding us to take it out and refund his labor, or replace it with a larger amp/sub for free.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl



TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png


5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Posted

When people go buy whatever they want from some pawn shop then expect it to sound good it's sad. Buy an amp the size of a wireless router, a beat up kenwood 12 and a prefab sealed box and expect it to sound loud from their trunk :( Then they crank everything and turn off the filters to get "more" out of it. I've had multiple people tell me how much better it sounds to have words coming through their sub. :o

I just love seeing an amp with all the dials turned all the way to the left or all the way to the right. Its hard to tell those kinds of people that if those knobs where designed to be maxed out the engineers would have saved money and just would have used a switch when they manufactured the amp. Distortiameters FTW!

Posted

I just love seeing an amp with all the dials turned all the way to the left or all the way to the right. Its hard to tell those kinds of people that if those knobs where designed to be maxed out the engineers would have saved money and just would have used a switch when they manufactured the amp. Distortiameters FTW!

What's even funnier is when you tell them that A-that isn't good for subs and amps and B-doesn't sound good and they say "Well thats what YOU like."

Then again I guess we all have to start somewhere...

Too many projects, too little time...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3218 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...