Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box Indestructable


tripleb45

Recommended Posts

Posted
still stuck in between mdf double stacked and birch.

Its most likely gonna boil down to price Vs. weigh. 3/4" MDF is about a 100lbs and $29 a sheet. Birch is almost twice the price and just over half the weight. You gotta decide which is right for you.

Posted
I have been looking on this site and got a few ideas to make an indestructible. My ideas are MDF, Resin, Allthread, right angle bars, and now I am looking for more ideas I have 2 Fi BTL 18" subs fully loaded. I am thinking of going with 4 within a few months.

I think we all got caught up in theory and forgot what he's going to be doing. ^ Be sure to Double layer everything and check out the build for Steve's current box. The only difference that would make it better would be doing Allthread where he has 2x4's just because it would not take up as much air space as using 2x's.

Posted
you will have a much stronger box if you use birch and not mdf

I will never use mdf again

double layer where you can

resin and matting (resin alone does not make box stronger)

then test it if it has any flex use wooden dowels to brace it

I havn't needed bracing in 4 years because of using birch and double layers

Is birch plywood readily available at lowes or home depot or lumber yards? If so is how does is compare in pricing to MDF?

EDIT:: Nevermind, I read the thread and see the answer, thanks!

-Dan Kasun

05' Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi Blow-thru build in progress.

2 RD HW18's, RD D9, 5 Deka 9a31's, 6th order blow-thru box, Eclipse 7200mkii HU, 140' Knu Kollossus wire. DC Power 270xp Alt, Etc.

Posted

Id like to note that adding bracing either allthread or dowels, in all directions (front to back, side to side, and top to bottom) and have your bracing as close to intersecting as possible will result in a much stronger result than simply doubling all the walls.

You pretty much read that on alot of box building guides etc etc.

Setup:


2010 Hyundai Elantra


Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC


Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt


Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000


Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -


DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Posted

Indestructable huh... some guys I know ran over their old SS1-2 car with a Centurion tank, shit went flat like the enormous wall wasn't even in there :lol:

Got a vid somewhere...

Ok can't find vid but pics...

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Posted
Is birch plywood readily available at lowes or home depot or lumber yards? If so is how does is compare in pricing to MDF?

EDIT:: Nevermind, I read the thread and see the answer, thanks!

The birch you get from Lowes is ok but the Home depot is a veneer and the inside is just crap filler wood. Both still don't stack up to a real lumber yard.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3123 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...