Sonic Electronix

Amp crossover vs headunit crossovers

i have an pioneer 5900. I have an amp for my subs and an amp running my front speakers. Both amps have crossovers on them but the headunit does too. ?My question is does the headunit crossover settings cancel out the amps crossover settings?

No if both are activated both will work. I had a similar setup with my deck and old mid+high amp and I just ran both as a failsafe.

Too many projects, too little time...

turn your headunits eq off and put it on flat and use the amps controls.

I was curious about something similar to this...

If your HU has like a 12 db/octave crossover and your amp has like an 18, would engaging both at, say, 80 hz make a 30db/octave crossover, or would it not work like that?

I only use my HU crossovers, because they're easier to change. So, its better to turn them off and use the ones on my amps?

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

You can use either crossover, but if you use them both you stack them and it becomes more effective. I would reccomend that and is what I do in my car at least for low pass. The deck doesn't have a good enough nor high enough high pass crossover to use in my case so I use my amp for high pass.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

having both on will not effect anything and no you will not have a 30 degree slope

However with that being said, let me state it like this, messing with the crossover does also change the time via a phase shift. you will notice it more on the lower end than the highs, I always check the phasing when I do an install, sometimes with the woofer out of phase it reinforces the mid bass a bit better. you really have to listen to it and spend some time. Personally I bypass all headunit controls and leave them for the processor or the amp... it is just my preference and using both does not make it wrong

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

having both on will not effect anything and no you will not have a 30 degree slope

However with that being said, let me state it like this, messing with the crossover does also change the time via a phase shift. you will notice it more on the lower end than the highs, I always check the phasing when I do an install, sometimes with the woofer out of phase it reinforces the mid bass a bit better. you really have to listen to it and spend some time. Personally I bypass all headunit controls and leave them for the processor or the amp... it is just my preference and using both does not make it wrong

If your responding to my comment I never said that it would give you a 30 degree slope. By stacking I mean that you will have two crossovers working to keep the freq's that are unwanted away from that particular speaker. It is more effective than using a single crossover alone. Kind of like extra protection. I never said that it would increase the rolloff rate at all.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

I would be commenting to the post prior to yours.

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

Archived