Second Skin Audio

1 15" Fi Q or 2 12" Type R's?

SQMonte

More cone area plus I've tested 2 12" Rs off around 1500w in the past(daily built/tuned) and off the same power a 15" RE SX(not the same, but somewhat similar to FI Q in performance). The Rs were almost a full db louder if I'm remembering correctly(was like 3 years ago) and they were in same vehicle/power/optimal daily box.
Gotcha. Is that all we're talking about, one db? I'm not trying to build a meter monster so I think I could live without that last db. As far as SQ is concerned, does the Q sound noticeably better than the R's? Which setup would get lower, the Q or the R's?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Well if your honestly interested in sq I'd just keep the ID subs that you have. They are a much more sq oriented driver then the Q or the R. Image Dynamics is know for their sq more so than even the Fi Q and the Type R well isn't Alpine's sq driver. That would be the Type X. The R is their loud daily driver sub. Imo, I'd keep the ID's and get them around 600 or so watts rms a piece. I probably wouldn't do a ported box either for a sq setup, but if you absolutely did it I would tune to no lower than 32hz.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Dude why not get the havoics(sp) i heard they clown the Fi q sub,just ask james.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Dude why not get the havoics(sp) i heard they clown the Fi q sub,just ask james.

Not a bad idea either. What's the price difference between the Havoc and the Q?

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion

I think like 50-100 bucks difference dont know thouhg cause you'd have to get a quote from a Authorized dealer to get a price on them havocs.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Well if your honestly interested in sq I'd just keep the ID subs that you have. They are a much more sq oriented driver then the Q or the R. Image Dynamics is know for their sq more so than even the Fi Q and the Type R well isn't Alpine's sq driver. That would be the Type X. The R is their loud daily driver sub. Imo, I'd keep the ID's and get them around 600 or so watts rms a piece. I probably wouldn't do a ported box either for a sq setup, but if you absolutely did it I would tune to no lower than 32hz.
My ID subs are rated for 250rms and i'm already giving them about 450rms each, no way in hell would I give them 600rms each. I like how they sound, no problems there, but my amp can do 1200 watts @ 1ohm so I want some subs or a sub that can take that much power so I can get my money's worth out of this amp. (Getting louder would be nice too)

I'm not a dedicated SQ guy, I like to get loud and low when the mood strikes, yet still be musical as well when i'm in the mood for more SQ oriented listening. I'm open to other suggestions as well...my parameters besides what I just said, are either 2 12's or 1 15", and priced up to $300 total.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

15" RE SX but not the new basket/model that RE makes though. The older 12 spoke basket that they made was one of my favorite daily woofers that don't require a ton of power. Look into these 15s - DC LVL4, IA Death Row, *** trash, Sundown Z, etc.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

My ID subs are rated for 250rms and i'm already giving them about 450rms each, no way in hell would I give them 600rms each. I like how they sound, no problems there, but my amp can do 1200 watts @ 1ohm so I want some subs or a sub that can take that much power so I can get my money's worth out of this amp. (Getting louder would be nice too)

I'm not a dedicated SQ guy, I like to get loud and low when the mood strikes, yet still be musical as well when i'm in the mood for more SQ oriented listening. I'm open to other suggestions as well...my parameters besides what I just said, are either 2 12's or 1 15", and priced up to $300 total.

I see. I for some reason thought that they were the ID Max subs instead of the ID3's. That would be a good reason not to give them anymore power. Hmm.... I would probably go for the Q then in this situation, or like someone else already suggested maybe even a Havoc.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

Archived