Second Skin Audio

If volume is equal does box shape matter?

OK, I searched the forum and could not come up with an answer so please all the box building champs in here unite!! :drunk: I have a box I'm designing and I can get the rec. airspace but to do so it will take an extreme amount of fiberglass and a unique shaped box. It will be in a trunk car but the woofer will be in a half wall. The box will be longer than it will be wide and I have heard in the past may people recommend this but not sure why? Also the only way I can get the port to fit will be woofers forward port up.

So #1 Does the shape make a huge difference and why?

#2 port placement-Is woofers forward port up OK or is there a louder more efficient way? BTW I can actuall do something really crazy with the ports and have them wrap around outside the box and fire at the sides as well if that would be even better. Hell it would actually be easier to do!

I know we have some crazy boxbuilders so what do you have!!!!

Starting From Scratch!!

There was a thread like this a couple weeks back. You're going to get all kinds of opinions, I say try the crazy box build and see for yourself how it works. Even with all the advice here, you might be happy with what that kind of box. IMO

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Enclosure shape plays a large role in the frequency response of the unit, and will effect standing waves inside the enclosure and enclosure resonance.

A perfectly square enclosure is very vulnerable to standing waves in contrast to a trapezoidal enclosure. However, a trap enclosure is very rarely used in car audio as it is more about getting the damn heavy blasted thing to fit in the car than focusing on things like standing waves, air load anomalies etc.

Just design your porting to prevent huffing at low frequencies, and give that woofer plenty of airspace. Try and load her in the center of the box, and tell us how it went.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Enclosure shape plays a large role in the frequency response of the unit, and will effect standing waves inside the enclosure and enclosure resonance.

A perfectly square enclosure is very vulnerable to standing waves in contrast to a trapezoidal enclosure. However, a trap enclosure is very rarely used in car audio as it is more about getting the damn heavy blasted thing to fit in the car than focusing on things like standing waves, air load anomalies etc.

Just design your porting to prevent huffing at low frequencies, and give that woofer plenty of airspace. Try and load her in the center of the box, and tell us how it went.

Cheers,

Mick

Im actually going to be building the same idea thing over the next month or so. Very weird shaped box with an extension of the box to under my rear bench seat to gain airspace. My box will have the airspace needed for my subs and I will be using pvc ports as well I have gotten some decent advice and noone has said its a bad idea or it wont work because of the weird shape. it can work it just might require more experimenting with ports Ill let you know howmy build goes unless you do your before me.

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts

box shape can deff hurt you, especially in multi sub applications, you could have uneven back pressure on a couple of the subs and get some bad coil rub or break cones. seen it happen a few times.

there is a 'golden ratio' to box sizes, as far as each dimension goes according to a certain volume for standing waves and whatnot. what i'm reading here says it's 1 x .7937 x 1.2599.

say a box has a net volume of 2 cubic feet net. take the cube root, 1.26 ft, which = 15.12" which = side A. multiply side A by .7937 to get 12", or side B. multiply side A by 1.2599 to get side C, 19.05". so you have:

side A = 15.12"

side B = 12"

side C = 19.05"

that is just a basic description i have on here as far as that goes

box shape can deff hurt you, especially in multi sub applications, you could have uneven back pressure on a couple of the subs and get some bad coil rub or break cones. seen it happen a few times.

I hope I dont run into that problem. My 4 12s are going all right in a line within a few inches of eachother but in the back/ bottom of the box it is going to connect to another chamber type section (i dont really know what to call it) but its just a section extended out underneath my seat to gain another .75 cuft to my net volume. This is the section of the box I actually plan to put the ports into as well . All 4 subs are going to be in the bigger (around 4.6-4.8cuft) section of the box which is just a big wedge type box.

2012 silverado ext cab ltz

24" kmc rims

AudioQue 2200

Pioneer AppRadio

Alpine mrx f35 4 channel

Bose mids and highs

Iraggi Alt + stock alt in a DC power dual alternator kit

Yellowtop+stock under hood

0 gauge Knu wire

Big 3

4 gauge stinger (4 chan wiring)

3 DC 10'' LVL3 with LVL4 parts