Sonic Electronix

Lets assume that you are new to car audio and you want to buy brand X sub and it is rated at 1000 rms then you buy brand x mono Amp for the sub that also rated at 1000 rms @ 1ohm.

now it seems that a lot of your higher end Brand X amps are really under rated and can put out at least 200 rms more then rated power.

Question is are subs rated the same way?

Can brand X sub rated at 1000 RMS actually handle 1200-1500 rms?

is there a list anywhere of Subs and there Rated RMS handling and what they can actually handle RMS.

Lets assume that you are new to car audio and you want to buy brand X sub and it is rated at 1000 rms then you buy brand x mono Amp for the sub that also rated at 1000 rms @ 1ohm.

now it seems that a lot of your higher end Brand X amps are really under rated and can put out at least 200 rms more then rated power.

Question is are subs rated the same way?

Can brand X sub rated at 1000 RMS actually handle 1200-1500 rms?

is there a list anywhere of Subs and there Rated RMS handling and what they can actually handle RMS.

ask the dealer them self they should knw there product

I know that fi re dc and sundown are under rated. You cn actually sock a bit more than rated power to any of there subs. The trick is to not send a clipped signal to the subs or they will start to get hot and evntually burn down the coil. There are two kinds of power handling. Thermal and mechanical. mechanical all depends on the spider configuraion and the type/size of the enclosure. Thermally is all in the craftmanship of the soft parts. So you cant really say that sub x is rated for this much power. Its only a rough guideline of what to run to it.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

i'd say most subs can handle more power, as long as it's a clean signal, just depends how much. however, most subs also do not *need* more power in order to perform properly. if a sub is rated at 1000 watts RMS, then all you need to feed it is 1000 watts for it to perform fully and properly. anything more is not needed to get the full use out of it

In electronics you almost always get what you pay for. An amp made with high grade quality parts usually come under rated. (Almost always if your voltage will be above the 14.4 mark.) So you get more out of the rating when paying a little more money. Subs usually are no different, if you buy a "quality" built sub and running a clean signal you get more than rated plus you can recone if needed.

Quality over quantity ALL DAY LONG!!

Recone option comes in handy when beer gets involved and a big OOPS comes into play.

Live the dream baby...You will be shitting your pants again before you know it.

I think most companies under rate there products just for simpelness of the average user.

i'll correct that....

quality companies usually do, the hard part is figuring out what a quality product is and what isnt and sometimes it comes down to as simple as trial and error or going to a dealer that you trustr...how do you know you can trust a dealer...ask thier honest opinion on things they dont sell, if everything that you tell them is crap to them ask them why dont just stand for oh it sucks and leave it at that.

ie

i dont like xtreme,legacy,pyle equipment, why you might ask me...i feel that although they are cheaper that its wrong to tell you as a customer that it does 3000max power because as a consumer who relies on what im telling you your going to believe you have that 3000 watts in your vehicle, when in fact you may have as little as 400rms coming from that amp.

you can always talk with a shop salesperson and feel them out and tell if they know what they are talking about...h

Edited by Accordman

a clean signal is key.... ive ran lots of stuff at slightly over the rated RMS and been fine... install and box etc... play a key role in everything as well...

you usually get what you pay for...

Full eclipse system is next on list.. soon to gut and redo the honda as new project/rolling buissness card :)

i miss the sound of those old school strokers on beast amps :(

i'll correct that....

quality companies usually do, the hard part is figuring out what a quality product is and what isnt and sometimes it comes down to as simple as trial and error or going to a dealer that you trustr...how do you know you can trust a dealer...ask thier honest opinion on things they dont sell, if everything that you tell them is crap to them ask them why dont just stand for oh it sucks and leave it at that.

ie

i dont like xtreme,legacy,pyle equipment, why you might ask me...i feel that although they are cheaper that its wrong to tell you as a customer that it does 3000max power because as a consumer who relies on what im telling you your going to believe you have that 3000 watts in your vehicle, when in fact you may have as little as 400rms coming from that amp.

you can always talk with a shop salesperson and feel them out and tell if they know what they are talking about...h

Agreed. But what I get when talking to shops is that they havent heard of x product they assume they are no good. Shops here are all mainstream(nothing wrong with that)but they dont want to educate themselves on what is out there and what people are runnig now adays