Sonic Electronix

Questions about big 3 and adding a cap

I've got some questions about doing the big 3 upgrade and adding a cap.

My headlights are dimming like a mofo at night and I need to fix it ASAP. I know you guys will say do the big 3 but I'm not sure I can really get it done right now unless I have a shop do it or find someone who can do it. I know you guys don't like caps but I'm just looking for a short term solution right now.

I've got a 2003 Civic with stock battery and stock alternator. I'm using this kit for my wiring http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/pr...S&p_status= I'm running the 2 amps in my sig so total I'm running a little over 1k watts right now.

My buddy does all my installation for me and he can't do the big 3 but he thinks he can add the cap for me. Will adding a cap help with the lights? If so, what size do I need?

Again, I'm just looking for a short term fix right now.

If your buddy does all your installs, then he should be experienced enough to do a basic big "3". Its very simple to do. Use the search button on this site and it explains in high detail on how to do it. Its a piece of cake!! That will help ALOT on on your dimming and you will waste your time on caps!! IMO!

Current Setup:

Sony CDX-7401UI

2- 12" Alpine TypeR DVC2ohm Subs

Custom ported box

4-American Bass 6.5in SQ-6B Mids

4-Pioneer TS-T15 Tweeters

2-Crunch P1500.1 Mono Amps

2-runs 1/0 GA KnuKonceptz

KnuKonceptz RCA's

1-Stinger SPV44 Battery

Coming soon:

250 Amp Alt

Custom Door Panels

Second Skin Sound Deadner

All in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS!!!

If your buddy does all your installs, then he should be experienced enough to do a basic big "3". Its very simple to do. Use the search button on this site and it explains in high detail on how to do it. Its a piece of cake!! That will help ALOT on on your dimming and you will waste your time on caps!! IMO!

quick question bout the big 3. do you replace the factory battery cables with the new cables or do you just run them the same way like the factory cables are?

you add to the existing. If your buddy can't do the big three properly hwo does he make any connections for power and ground fuck that.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I agree with the others who posted so far... If the guys who is doing all your installs doesn't have the ability to do a big 3 upgrade, then I wouldn't allow him to touch anything else on your vehicle.

Also use the money u were gonna spend on a cap and buy a small batt like a Kinetik 800 or similar for the time being.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

I guess I shouldn't say he can't do it, but more like he doesn't want to do it. We both work a lot of hours and have small children and rarely have the same time off together to hook up so he can work on it.

I'm willing to take it to a shop to do but not sure what kind of price I'm looking at. I know they are going to overcharge to begin with but is it worth paying a shop vs. just adding a cap?

Marlo, are you saying to replace the battery or add a 2nd battery? Will upgrading stop the lights from dimming? If a bigger and better battery will work then I'll just do that instead.

i got a picture of how to do the big 3 on a civic... its easy bro if i can do it you can too

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

do not install a cap. that is not any sort of solution to dimming lights. i'd add a second battery as well. upgrade and add because you dont want a dry cell battery used with a wet cell battery at the same time. extra batts will help maintain voltage which will help prevent lights dimming.

I guess I shouldn't say he can't do it, but more like he doesn't want to do it. We both work a lot of hours and have small children and rarely have the same time off together to hook up so he can work on it.

I'm willing to take it to a shop to do but not sure what kind of price I'm looking at. I know they are going to overcharge to begin with but is it worth paying a shop vs. just adding a cap?

Marlo, are you saying to replace the battery or add a 2nd battery? Will upgrading stop the lights from dimming? If a bigger and better battery will work then I'll just do that instead.

Doing the big 3 doesn't take up much time if u know what you're doing/looking for, and as long as everything is fairly accessable. Honestly you could easily do it yourself by reading through as many tutorials and walkthroughs as you can. Eventually gonna want to learn some day, especially if u wanna keep going into bigger builds for the future. Truthfully any mechanic could also do the big 3, as long as u had the proper wiring and accessories to do so(a couple lugs + 3-5ft of 1/0ga wire).

Do not mix wet cell + dry cell batteries together, so your first thing would be to upgrade the battery underhood with the biggest that will fit and you can afford. Compare batt companies, ratings, and price to determine which route you're gonna take in that department. Civic's charging systems are notoriously weak but by doing the big 3 and getting a decent size under hood batt you should see a bit of a difference with dimming. It may not be 100% solved but it will be a good amount better with handling the amperage.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace