Sundown Audio

need some help, 3500 keeps going into protect

I have got 2 3500's

Completly my fault but i wired the subs wrong (ignorance :01nocomment8so: ) and showed each amp .375 ohms.

gains were set all the way down but had a clean signal from an overdrive.

i played music for 20 secs max, in that time i turned the volume upto my usual point quite slowly. at this stage one of the 3500's went into protect. i got out checked everything and the amps were stone cold, subs stone cold (20secs play time remember)

so i turn the car off and back on and amps out of protect. repeated the same as above and it happened again. it was this stage i realised i wired the subs wrong.

strange thing is the other amp is perfect.

opened the back of the amp to check for damage and theres no visible damage there at all, at the time there were no smells or smoke just went straight into protect as soon as volume increased.

voltage dropped to 12v dead on so not excessivly low

so what could be the problem? i,ll have to send it off for repair but would obviously be nice if it was something simple.

So your voltage was steady 12 ..sounds kinda of odd ..where the amps strapped or unstrapped..

unstrapped

just had an amp to each lvl5 with dual .7 coils

i was meant to wire it to 1.4 but in my rush to get it done did .375 by mistake :censored:

just to add that the amp will only come out of protect when the car is turned off and back on again at which time the amp comes straight on and plays fine, only when volume is raised does it cut out. i did it 4 times and have now removed it ready to be sent off to repair but for all i know it could be something simple.

Edited by Bluebrindle

Try new RCA cables -- what are you using now ?

i,m using knuconcepts rca's

i'll swap em over as doing that will be a 5 minute job, it would not surprise me if there was any nicks or damage to the rca's as they were pulled under carpets and it was very difficult so i would not be shocked if there was any damage

any other ideas?

I'm having a similar issue in my vehicle with one of my saz2000d's. It's the same amp that protects every time. It really only does it when I run a bassrace run cause I turn the volume up quick to get to a 149.9 The other amp is fine in my case just like yours. My voltage doesn't drop below 13 on music so I'm not sure why it is doing this either. I'm going to Jacob's sometime this week and if I figure it out I'll definately let you know what it was in my case so maybe it will help you out too.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Right....

It appears to be a damaged rca cable. i havent actually tested the problem amp but i just went out and swapped the rcas over (used the set that was on the bad amp on the good amp iykwim) and guess what? straight into protect, tried it a couple of times did the same thing.

swapped leads back and its perfect.

Result :clapping: (now to actually test the amp so i wont speak too soon but it appears good)

I guess this could be the issue in my car as well. I will try the same thing as you and see if I have the same type of results. If so thanks for the tip here. I did do one thing and I haven't tried to turn the volume up quick like I would during a bassrace run yet since I've only drove in residental area. I had extended the wires coming from the speakers to the amp and didn't use a butt conector, I just twisted them together and then electrical taped over them. I removed that part and the wire was still long enough to get to the amp, but when I was doing so I also found that the speaker wire from that amp was getting pinched under the box. The speaker wire from the other amp was not so maybe that was the case to why mine was doing so.

I need to take a drive out on the highway for a minute to get the car to full tilt to see if that was the issue. I'll still let you guys know otherwise.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz