Sonic Electronix

My friend just got 2 kicker cvr 12's and we were bumpin them alright with this 2 channel 700w amp he was borrowing. At 4 ohms bridged, this amp was maybe putting out 150 watts a sub? Way underpowered for Cvr's. So we were bumping some songs down the highway and I thought that I smelt a faint burning smell or something like it, and was thinking it might be the coils, so we turned it down a little, but kept playing them. They played fine the rest of the night. Keep in mind that we only played these subs for a total of maybe 3-4 hours total over a week or so.

Anyways, the next morning we were playing them pretty hard, and all of the sudden it bass just cuts out. Got to my house, checked all of the connections, cables, wires, even re-soldered the power and ground terminals and made sure all fuses were still good. We reconnected everything and double checked it all. Everything was right. We turned his car on and played some songs, no bass still. The amp still has the power light on and no protect mode. I pushed the cones on the subs down to see if anything was scratching, nothing. Took them out and looked at them, still look brand new and everything. So I'm 99% sure its the amp, but its not going into protect mode when we turn on the car.

Whats wrong? Everything looks good but still no bass. Is it possible that the amp is fried? Gain was up to maybe 3/4 and half bass boost? If anything isn't clear just ask. Thanks.

Why would u have the gain and bass boost up so high??

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

well since u smelt something its either subs or amp... subs can be blown without being seized (meaning they still move like normal) and amp can be blown without being in protect or still have the lights turn on like normal

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Why would u have the gain and bass boost up so high??

I'm not sure. Partially because my friend is stubborn and doesn't know a thing about car audio and secondly because it would not get loud with the gain set low. Had HU volume on 25-26 out of 35 and it was not loud. And yes, I know the gain is not a volume knob.

Edited by bumpnthump

well since u smelt something its either subs or amp... subs can be blown without being seized (meaning they still move like normal) and amp can be blown without being in protect or still have the lights turn on like normal

So the only way to know for the subs 100% would to test the coils with a multimeter?

check the coils with a DMM.... if there good check for voltage in the RCA's (read gain setting tutorial)

If the RCA's have power to them (meaning the preout's on the deck didnt go bad) and the subs are good (as checked with the DMM) then its the amp...

Edited by jesterjames

Pioneer 500UB

1 LVL4 15" 4.3cubes tuned to 35HZ

BXi1606D

1/0

Red top in back

JBL 5 1/4's front

Infinity Kappa 6 1/2's rear

145.7 Legal on music New Audio Control

or pop them with a battery... take the speaker wires out of your amp touch them to a battery (9v is normally good but drill battery, car battery, AA ect will work in a pinch) if they do something then they are at least some what ok. if nothing then thats the issue subs or connection after the amp (speaker wire outside the box, terminal cup, speaker wire inside the box)

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Sounds like he was underpowering them and sent a clipped signal to them make it louder. :01nocomment8so: Hope whoever he was borrowing the amp from isn't pissed

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

I'm not sure. Partially because my friend is stubborn and doesn't know a thing about car audio and secondly because it would not get loud with the gain set low. Had HU volume on 25-26 out of 35 and it was not loud. And yes, I know the gain is not a volume knob.

with 300rms of course its not gonna get as loud as you want. if you had a car and tried to be faster by powershifting (shifting fast w/o using the clutch) then the transmission is gonna wear out and blow. same thing with your subs. you try to push a little amp harder than it was designed to, its gonna output a clipped signal. and thats what i think blew your subs

edit: btw what brand amp was it, model number would help tremendously

Edited by Kranny