Second Skin Audio

Motor force vs cone area

I looked around for a similar thread but didnt find any.

So I'm thinkin about goin for some numbers once everything gets here. As of right now I have a 18 btl but I keep seein people runnin 10s and puttin up some real numbers. Is this because they have more motor force than just 1 18?

I know cone area has to account for something, theoretically the 18 could be louder in the right box.

In your guys' opinions, and maybe from experience, what would you think could be louder on the meter. 2 10s or 1 18 of the same woofer?

Please dont just tell me cone area wins all lol

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

depends on the vehicle and space available for enclosure.

The car's interior is just another part of the enclosure, and a certain cone area will work best in your cars particular volume.

Most cars doing big numbers on low qty of 10s are CRXs and other small cars. There is no way to do similar numbers in a Ford Econoline.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

So lets say in the trunk of a decent size car, you think cone area would take it then?

I have the space for basicly any 1 18 or 2 10s.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

Not too worried about price.

So it reallly just comes down to cone area then?

I figured someone would give me a scientific explanation on why some 10s would be louder

Why kind of box you think would put out best numbers for an 18 btl on 3k?

Ive seen thuumpers box with 2 10s in a horn shaped box puttin up a 140+ at like 10hz

Is there any kind of box that puts up numbers besides just a simple ported box?

A t-line would be a little too big for an 18..

Sorry for rambling but I'm bored and eager to learn somethin new

Not too worried about price.

So it reallly just comes down to cone area then?

I figured someone would give me a scientific explanation on why some 10s would be louder

Why kind of box you think would put out best numbers for an 18 btl on 3k?

Ive seen thuumpers box with 2 10s in a horn shaped box puttin up a 140+ at like 10hz

Is there any kind of box that puts up numbers besides just a simple ported box?

A t-line would be a little too big for an 18..

Sorry for rambling but I'm bored and eager to learn somethin new

you can always make an oddlyshaped quarter wave, i put a 15" ma sub in a quarter wave in a friends small lil standard cab chevy, design is everything. i would say quarter wave>tline>horn>bandpass>ported>sealed, but thats all in my opinion sorta stuff.

Edited by BanginOnABudget

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

well i remember reading somewhere that for a tline, my box would have to be like 15cft for an 18. Not sure how true it is tho.

Ive never seen a quarter wave done. Is it meant for low power like the tline?

Would the box size be comparable to a ported box or would it have to be much bigger?

thank you for your opinion

Are you runnin the lvl 5 oldschool?

Edited by 99Bonney

it was on the soundpressure forums. Someone mentioned fighting the power of compression. Thats what i was talking about in that post that i think made you start this thread.

Ill look around and if i find anything, ill link it or post it.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.