DC Sound Lab

DC XL 8000+ watts free air new vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/ateamaudio#p/a/u/0/GhF4rQvMxn0

This is to show just how much these subs can REALLY handle free air and to make all my friends happy. Enjoy!!! :good:

Disclaimer: The power being ran in this video should not be attempted at home. The person working the volume is a trained professional at "rolling it up." To follow along to duplicate these results will result in void warranty of all products involved. It is recommended you hire The A Team to perform these sort of tests.

Edited by The A Team

Here are the power #s copied from the other thread.

How i break it down to keep it simple, peaked 1 second power free air i seen 36.09 amps, and 133.2 volts = 4807 watts. Now if you look at the amperage sustained for 3 seconds or a bit more we have amperage of around 31 which would still work out around 4129 watts.

how is it false information if the manufacture rates it at 1500rms...imo a manu needs to rate the product at a point that they feel is the best for that equipment, if 1500rms isnt that then imo its not a customers duty to guess and check how much over RMS they should be going to get the best performance out of a wofoer that the manufacture should ahead of time have done for them.

I'm not jabbing at DC this is just my thoughts all across the board.

BTW i understand the underrating game fully, the side of making the customer think they are getting more for thier money and the part of trying to warrant product. On thew other hand you cant have people who are working for your company tell people to run 2x 3x rms then when they do saying NOPE that was over rms rating it cant be warranted.

how is it false information if the manufacture rates it at 1500rms...imo a manu needs to rate the product at a point that they feel is the best for that equipment, if 1500rms isnt that then imo its not a customers duty to guess and check how much over RMS they should be going to get the best performance out of a wofoer that the manufacture should ahead of time have done for them.

I'm not jabbing at DC this is just my thoughts all across the board.

BTW i understand the underrating game fully, the side of making the customer think they are getting more for thier money and the part of trying to warrant product. On thew other hand you cant have people who are working for your company tell people to run 2x 3x rms then when they do saying NOPE that was over rms rating it cant be warranted.

Dont forget rated power handling is for longer periods of time. Its not false info that DC rated a XL at 1500 rms im sure that just about bang on. When it comes to how much power people use on a sub it doesnt really matter. The #1 threat to the speaker is the person controlling it. You need to know the limits in your install, because very system is different. Also it depends on what part of the speaker fails for warranty. If some one burns up a coil chances are it was abused very badly. But that another story. If i did a video of this sub playing with 1500 watts it wouldnt be very exciting im sorry to say. No one wants to see that.

so now we know an XL can burp at 4k..

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota

Headunit: Alpine IVA-D310

Sub: 2005 RE Audio XXX 15"

Sub Amp: Orion 2500D

Frontstage: Diamond Audio Hex's

Frontstage Amp: Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D

Wiring: Kicker Hyperflex 1/0

Alternator: Mechman 250 Amp

Battery: Powermaster D2700

Deadener: 100 Square Feet Raamat BXT II

Dont forget rated power handling is for longer periods of time. Its not false info that DC rated a XL at 1500 rms im sure that just about bang on. When it comes to how much power people use on a sub it doesnt really matter. The #1 threat to the speaker is the person controlling it. You need to know the limits in your install, because very system is different. Also it depends on what part of the speaker fails for warranty. If some one burns up a coil chances are it was abused very badly. But that another story. If i did a video of this sub playing with 1500 watts it wouldnt be very exciting im sorry to say. No one wants to see that.

i fully understand and partially agree with what your saying but in the end...

the majority of users will see the seasoned people IE yourself, or Steve 2x or 3x the RMS on a unit and automatically think its gonna be fine to beat on all day like that...its that perception that people have thinking they can run 4k to a XL all day long np...

nowhere in this test will they take out of it that they can not do that daily, they will say well that was free air i can do more if its in a box.

If you go through the DC section i guarantee majority of the questions are "how much over RMS can i do on said speaker daily"

In no way am i trying to start an argument or discredit you in any way, i just feel everytime one of these videos or test pop up 50 more people assume that they can hella overpower their equipment without failure and then when it does nobody wants to step up and be real with them as to why it happened.

In a comp environment things are different and i feel people who arent in that environment need to be more informed by mostly the internet manus as to why they cannot run thier equipment daily at those levels.

hell on this very forum theres not 1 post explaining the basic common senses of why a sub can burp off 10k but not play music, yea its common sense but so is the reason 90 percent of woofers blow.

Edited by Accordman

i agree. to many people see the youtube pages and jump on the bandwagon with no idea what they are doing

i started out with a 500 watt system.

i have worked my way up over the years to 3 and 4k but there is no way i would have attempted them back then without knowing what i know now

noobs need to slow down these days

EDIT: not calling james or A team noobs btw (they know more than me)

Edited by brewer_brewer

And just to expand on what James is saying....I see too many threads on here where someone says they will be running an XL on (insert amp here) and you get half a dozen people come in and say "the XL won't even come to life unless you give it 2 or 3k"....This is irresponsible info to be giving as a blanket answer to everyone who asks, IMO.