Sonic Electronix

Trying to get a job at a local audio shop

all I gotta say is "God I hope I get it, I hope I get it, how many people does he need?" "God I hope I get it, I hope I get it, how many boys how many girls does he need?" "God I really need this job, I hope I get this job"~~~

FFFFFFFFFFFFF- I h8 you television.

I wonder how many people trying to get a job think of that song by a chorus line.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

one thing Ill put out there is are you prepared to lose your hobby? Once you start doing it for pay and in other people's cars with other peoples gear it no longer is as much fun . You'll find it very hard to work on your own car once you are done. You'll just be tired of it and even start seeing things in your sleep. I once woke up dreaming about doing a remote start alarm in a car.

this has happened to me too many times to count, ive done alarms, amps, speakers, fought with customers, all kinds of shit in my dreams......

2003 Toyota Sequoia

Pioneer 4100dvd

Memphis PR6.5 3ways in all four doors

Memphis PR 15s (4)

Memphis PR 1.1000 (2)

Memphis PR 4.50 (1)

Optima Yellowtop (2)

Viper 5901

8000k H.I.D. kit

15% tint (2layers)

Props for going in and asking man. At your age even that takes some balls.

Now start practicing your sweeping... and I don't mean the 30-80hz sine wave kind :P

Just a random aside, 35 installs? Really? Honest-to-god truly? Because I probably haven't done 2 digits of installs in the last year... mind you what I've done has been some pretty custom shit. I should really post pics some time...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Props for going in and asking man. At your age even that takes some balls.

Now start practicing your sweeping... and I don't mean the 30-80hz sine wave kind :P

Just a random aside, 35 installs? Really? Honest-to-god truly? Because I probably haven't done 2 digits of installs in the last year... mind you what I've done has been some pretty custom shit. I should really post pics some time...

Depends on the installs I guess.

In m 6 years as an Installer I counted over 3000 cars that I have worked on.

Alot of those were 20 minute head units and 30 minute remote starts though.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

one thing Ill put out there is are you prepared to lose your hobby? Once you start doing it for pay and in other people's cars with other peoples gear it no longer is as much fun . You'll find it very hard to work on your own car once you are done. You'll just be tired of it and even start seeing things in your sleep. I once woke up dreaming about doing a remote start alarm in a car.

x1000000000000

Damn the constant phone calls of "hey my boy wants his shit hooked up" or "think you can work on my car after work"... that shit gets old quick... along with doing it every day... day in and day out. Being the "goto" stereo guy isn't exactly the funnest thing :) I miss the days of hanging out in my boys garages just chilling and building boxes... fuck now I charge for everything I do because that's the only thing that makes it worth while.

werd... it all depends on the area, time of the year, and your clientel... Truthfully in the summer sometimes I'll have one car or two cars that I'll do in a week... just because they are big jobs. Where as in the winter I'd say anywhere between 30-60 cars a week probably working 6 days... or around 15-25 when I'm working part time(god i miss it :().

It's definitely a bad ass job to have while going to college... shit everyone I worked with drank and partied... the money was GOOD. I always made more than any of my friends. But now that I'm graduated I think it's time for something better... lol

Good information in this thread for anyone looking to get into car audio as a profession :)

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

Oh for sure. It's just a small shop so I'm generally only there when they need something crazy worked on like show cars which are generally 2-3 month on-off builds cos the car is always coming and going to get this and that done somewhere else.

I hardly ever touch the cookie cutter installs... I mean I can do them but the boss has been doing them for like 20 years and can do them in half the time I can. I'm not complaining either :)

I'm just a little skeptical of 35 installs when he isn't already working at a shop...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Oh for sure. It's just a small shop so I'm generally only there when they need something crazy worked on like show cars which are generally 2-3 month on-off builds cos the car is always coming and going to get this and that done somewhere else.

I hardly ever touch the cookie cutter installs... I mean I can do them but the boss has been doing them for like 20 years and can do them in half the time I can. I'm not complaining either :)

I'm just a little skeptical of 35 installs when he isn't already working at a shop...

Yeah, I see.

35 installs of what type and what quality?

I had a lot of experience under my belt by the time I turned 18, but I would struggle to count even 10-15 real installs I have done by that time.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I think that you are going to be in for a rude awakening to assume that you can just take an MECP exam and "Ace" it. Don't assume either that just by getting the MECP study guide and going over the information that it will prepare you 100% either. A lot of the questions you will find come from real world experience and not just the general overview of information contained in the study guide. There are also multiple variations of the exams on each level, some harder than others, so just because someone might tell you that they took the exam and it was a breeze that the exam you will get will be just as easy.

Also, if you had such a hard time going into the store to talk about getting the job, you are going to have very hard time dealing with a bullshit customer if they come into the store and you have the unfortunate task of having to help them.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

I'm not going to read 3 pages of Answers. And no ones will probably Want my opinion anyways but the way i look at it, Most people who would go to a shop would probably bring there own equipment to be installed ( subs in prefab boxes and what not) so i wouldnt say that there would be a high demand for Box builders and the like.

Just my opinion, and i hope the best with getting the job.

I used to be good friends with the local shop owner before his dad died, hes turned into a huge dick since then. But I used to come in around christmas and help out for double pay in cash cause I could crank out remote starts faster than his full timers, and I never had a come back. He always wanted me to work for him but I just hate doing strip and crimp installs. Doing that shit all day drives you crazy, I do private installs on the side where I can build a box, buy equip online and save the customer mad bank and I make A LOT of money on each install. I much prefer the private business over the working at a shop. I hate alarms so much I don't even have on one my car, but I'm still good at them. It would be a good experience, but you'll hate it for a long time. Unless your co-workers are really cool. The shop I helped out at was mainly shady dickheads who were in like an ego competition all the time. Really annoying. Working privately if you have a garage and tools is much better and you can actually learn some very cool things, like fiberglass, and complicated box designs, instead of learning how to remove a different brittle trim panel everyday. I have since developed a hate for our local shops, so... try if you want. As much as I love car audio, I will probably never work at a shop, too many idiots.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Archived