Sonic Electronix

Buddie ?ing me and I need a "pros answer"

I may be selling him my bl 12 in a 2.5 cube box @ 32 hz (we have the same amp T-1500-1bd) and I say itll be louder with a lets say 1.75-2 cube box @ 35-40 hz, but I love the lows too much so I build it @ 32 hz. Anyway so 1500+ watts to a Fi BL 12" in a 1.75-2 cube box > 2.5 cubes @ 32 hz.

Thanks

(I just always heard that "overpowering" in a smaller box yeilds more output)

by going to a smaller box with a lower tune you are negating the reasoning for a lower tune. It will not play as low because the box is not as large, a larger box tuned at 35hz will yield much better lows than a smaller box tuned to 32 hz. larger boxes are also more efficient as in more output per watt. however, a larger box will decrease the power-handling of the woofer. only time a small box really is an advantage is when you are burping a lot of power onto the woofer with a higher tune for pure SPL. no need for a larger box to lower the box's resonant frequency since the goal would be to achieve high db's not to play well musically.

also not a good idea to tell your friend it will be louder as that can be dependent on how much power output he sees from the amp with different electrical backing it compared to you, and every vehicle responds differently. My car for example has a natural low resonant frequency ~36hz which is very low for a car, and I have over 180 sq ft. of dampener foam pad, etc.

hope this all helped

Matt

Team Sundown

The bigger enclosure with the most amount of port area will be louder.

So the 2.5 cube box will be louder then the 1.75 cube box if it has the same port area and tuning.

And you would be "choking" the sub because it's in only 1.75 cubes.

Edited by kirill007

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Smaller the box the more rise so less power if im correct. It is less efficient to run smaller boxes? I see HHR ED down there im sure he can inform you more than I.

LoL. I was waiting for him to tune in, but here's my thoughts

I've always heard it depends on your car and box together. It should be two different 'louds' in two different vehicles using the same box. 1.75 cubed and ported seems small to me..seems like a sealed size.

:unno:

Edited by sayhuh?

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

I think I may have worded it incorrectly, so I'll put out the options you tell me what'll be better for me

1. 2.5 cubes @ 32 hz ( what I have and hit 142.1 @ 39 hz)

2. 2.5 cubes @ 35-40 hz

3. roughly 2 cubes @ 35-40 hz

Thanks

I think I may have worded it incorrectly, so I'll put out the options you tell me what'll be better for me

1. 2.5 cubes @ 32 hz ( what I have and hit 142.1 @ 39 hz)

2. 2.5 cubes @ 35-40 hz

3. roughly 2 cubes @ 35-40 hz

Thanks

Depends on the vehicle. 32hz might be loudest in your vehicle, but in his he won't do a 142.1. His might do a 143 tuned to 35-40hz...its hard to say really.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown