Enclosure Design Database on SMD?

in my entire time on smd ive made maybe $60 on boxes, lol... aint about the money

u wanted opinions on the topic and im just giving another viewpoint

u still havent answered really any of my questions tho

what info are u looking to add... pretty much anything can be searched already
if u want a picture only thread then a mod needs to lock it and update it... so u would need a mod in on this to work like that

so u want a bunch of generic boxes or people to post the boxes they made/designed in one thread

so if the idea is to inspire ideas when creating your own box, thats cool...

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I don't think it's a bad idea. Not necessarily to provide plans for building a box, but instead to say...here's a hundred examples of a ported box....a 4th order bandpass....a t-line....etc.

Maybe it would be useful for someone not familiar with box design to get an idea of what is what without asking about it and getting half a dozen people just tell them to "search".

I don't think it's a bad idea. Not necessarily to provide plans for building a box, but instead to say...here's a hundred examples of a ported box....a 4th order bandpass....a t-line....etc.

Maybe it would be useful for someone not familiar with box design to get an idea of what is what without asking about it and getting half a dozen people just tell them to "search".

its not a bad idea...

what if people submit boxes that are chitty/incorrect/ or arent designed the way they should be

how helpful would that be without the ability to say thats not right if its a picture only thread with no commenting

what i was getting at earlier is after say 10-15 pages people stop wanting to read entire threads

ive got under 100 designs saved so should i upload them all...? see what i mean... whats stopping people from just posting anything... it makes the thread long and less useful if its hodpodged

i guess im just thinking to much about this... ill let this run its course and join if it goes well, lol

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I think a subforum where you can post designs would be awesome.

IMO people should be required to post every design with a code that is searchable so people can find designs they're after.

eg 12x12P for a Ported box for 12x 12" subs - then put other keywords so people can find specifics, i.e.

12x12P DD2515 SPL

or

4x15P DC Level 5 SQ

2x12S Alpine Type R SQ

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

That's a great idea in itself, Boon. 10 x 10T, then, is what kind of enclosure?

In regards to Decaf's comment that maybe I need inspiration for my own designs;

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=65048

:01nocomment8so:

I saw those enclosures you linked us to. Whoever is going off of those designs needs some inspiration, for sure. Nobody uses long, restricted slot ports anymore except noobs. Who are you kidding?

its not a bad idea...

what if people submit boxes that are chitty/incorrect/ or arent designed the way they should be

how helpful would that be without the ability to say thats not right if its a picture only thread with no commenting

what i was getting at earlier is after say 10-15 pages people stop wanting to read entire threads

ive got under 100 designs saved so should i upload them all...? see what i mean... whats stopping people from just posting anything... it makes the thread long and less useful if its hodpodged

i guess im just thinking to much about this... ill let this run its course and join if it goes well, lol

lol i have about 2500 box designs saved, i dont even know why i save them , to this day i have NEVER been able to recycle a box, theres always an inch here or an inch there thats off and as you know an inch changes everyhting.

My only thing about generic designs is, people always have a different thought of what SQ is or what spl is or what they want. sometimes looking at a box an unknowing person has no idea what sq or spl is or if thats even what they want... In that i think this subwoofer/enclosure forum is for that very instance.if someone wants help on a design they post and get responses, and usually imo they get them pretty fast...when i see them i totally throw thoughts out there and i know decaf and a few others do too.

Yes i do make money off my designs as i said before, because my time imo is work money. but i dont charge any one to look over somethign they came up with or offer them help or guidance in how it would be better. I applaud anyone who actually had the balls to take the initiative to try it at least and look for the help to do it themself.

I overall think by far box designs that are just posted make people even lazier then they already are, hell people refuse to look for ANYTHING on a forum anymore, so i feel it will just sit there and not be used anyhow.

In regards to Decaf's comment that maybe I need inspiration for my own designs;

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=65048

:01nocomment8so:

I saw those enclosures you linked us to. Whoever is going off of those designs needs some inspiration, for sure. Nobody uses long, restricted slot ports anymore except noobs. Who are you kidding?

jesus man, it was an example of the same thing u were talking about... stop being a little baby and understand your "grand idea" isnt original or thought out... thats all i was getting at... its been done and didnt work

i didnt say u need inspiration, i asked is that was the point of the thread, to give someone looking to design a box new approaches to similar problems we all have... like bracing location or different ways to do 45s corners for example

get off your high horse and chill with the rest of us

lol i have about 2500 box designs saved, i dont even know why i save them , to this day i have NEVER been able to recycle a box, theres always an inch here or an inch there thats off and as you know an inch changes everyhting.

My only thing about generic designs is, people always have a different thought of what SQ is or what spl is or what they want. sometimes looking at a box an unknowing person has no idea what sq or spl is or if thats even what they want... In that i think this subwoofer/enclosure forum is for that very instance.if someone wants help on a design they post and get responses, and usually imo they get them pretty fast...when i see them i totally throw thoughts out there and i know decaf and a few others do too.

Yes i do make money off my designs as i said before, because my time imo is work money. but i dont charge any one to look over somethign they came up with or offer them help or guidance in how it would be better. I applaud anyone who actually had the balls to take the initiative to try it at least and look for the help to do it themself.

I overall think by far box designs that are just posted make people even lazier then they already are, hell people refuse to look for ANYTHING on a forum anymore, so i feel it will just sit there and not be used anyhow.

couldnt have said it better, i tried but you did a better job

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I think a subforum where you can post designs would be awesome.

IMO people should be required to post every design with a code that is searchable so people can find designs they're after.

eg 12x12P for a Ported box for 12x 12" subs - then put other keywords so people can find specifics, i.e.

12x12P DD2515 SPL

or

4x15P DC Level 5 SQ

2x12S Alpine Type R SQ

x2 this, but i would think you could get away with going a subforum like you said, then having subforum's in that with all the manufacturers we can come up with, then in there choose which woofer (by model number), then have designs.

that seems super complicated i know...

i like your idea better though lol. having each person enter a code/tag with their design in a picture would be alot easier than 5 mods doing all the work.

I don't think it would be necessary to segment all the designs by woofer. There are simply too many woofers out there. Then, depending on the person's configuration or tuning requirements, the enclosure size can be different even for the same sub.

What about classifying the enclosures by volume and tuning? That way, new guys could get within the ballpark they need just by searching 3.5 cubic foot enclosures. If they need 4.2 or 3.2 cubic feet for a given system, the dimensions of the 3.5 could be stretched or compacted easily for a given dimension. Then, they can plug their port area into one of these calculators for length, and they're done.

Decaf, you asked whether I needed inspiration; this was not a line of inquiry I made up. Furthermore, your comment that this was grand my "grand idea," implies that I might unreasonably defend such an idea even when facts or logic are against me. Untrue. As far as the notion that excercising influence ("grand ideas") is new to me, :01nocomment8so: . I was simply responding to your gesture. No high horse here.

I have just added you as a friend, bro. :friends:

Archived