thoughts on becoming a firefighter..?

just still tryin to figure life out....tossin the idea of a firefighter...

but i dont know much about what it takes, the pay, the lifestyle...etc...

so any input on the lifestlye of a firefighter would be appreciated...

i likes me some audio stuff...

my ex's dad was a FF

my new gf's dad is a FF

decent pay (30kstarting - ~70k), u work 24hr then 48hr off

if u like to workout its a good job, but its a great job for jack-of-all-trades and handymen

with a chit ton of courage and a willingness to endager ur life for another day after day after day

lots or car accidents too

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

hey whats up man. I am a volunteer and have been for about 3 years now...

best thing to do is become one first yourself and see if you like it. Theres nothing like the brotherhood of the people in your firehouse.

The pay varies across the nation. around here a starting FF/EMT will bring in 40k+ overtime stuff.

Get used to sleeping around other people. I was uncomfortable with this at first but am fine with it after I realize that we are all just humans lol.

oh yea, dont know about where u are but here if you want to become a paid FF/EMT your ass will be stuck running medical calls for a while instead of running fire calls.

anything else you wanna know just ask.

edit: it is one of the best jobs you can have. I say if you like it go for it! If only it was easier to get in around here with experience :( fuckin equal opportunity employment lol...that actually works to your advantage though lmao

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

being that i work with them on a daily basis, I can tell you that your life will be IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION if you decide to do this. GREAT TIMES BRO. very honest bunch of people for the most part, your JOB STABILITY is something you will NEVER have to worry about. Put 20yrs in, and retire on a pention (Sp?) Either the EMS or FIRE fields will yeild you good time and a ALWAYS THERE paycheck. I like my job so much, that going to work is like being 7 yrs old again and going to the playground! and you will have that experience too, you will see.

The schooling involved is a little bit crazy. Here in the GA area, you need to be atleast a EMT "b" (basic) so once you finish that schooling (3 months I think) FIRE can pick u up, and put you through the FIRE program (few months etc...) then your done. FOr more pay, become a EMT "I" (intermidiate) (thats what I am) and get your NPQII. Then for more monies, become a paramedic. A medic with a NPQII here can make 60k plus! but of course this depends on what county/state you work within. I actually have a call now, so I have to end this, but DO IT!

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

One word.......GROUPIES!!!!!!!

OK so that's not a good reason but it's a perk no doubt! Firefighters are really the real heros out there so go for it! Great job great benefits and it feeds your heart.

Starting From Scratch!!

yea...im sure most of the calls around here are more medical/car accidents than fires...

but im bored with life...

i do enjoy working out, and of course id like to think of myself as a jack of all trades (like the rest of the board..lol)...and i do enjoy helping people.

just tired of having a job where i feel like my work is completely useless to the benefit of others...i mean if i dont do my current job, nobody is affected and nobody will give a shit...

i feel like i need a job where stuff matters...where if i make a mistake, things happen...

i was lookin at the military but not sure i want that lifestyle....and thought a firefighter might be a good substitue.

i likes me some audio stuff...

I just checked and the average income for a firefighter in KY is 44,000

I am considering becoming a paramedic but i dont have the time to get it for free like offered over here. Id much rather just pay for school and get it in less time. The thing that sucks is the higher your medical rank the more responsibility u have so make sure you pay attention in class haha.

Eclipse cd7000

I've been a volunteer for almost 8 years in a small town (population about 3000). I was also an EMT for about 4 years. I tried for several years to get on a paid department, but there are not very many close by here, and I really didn't want to move so I gave up on it.

Around here the pay is pretty good. The majority of the departments want you to be at least Firefighter 1 certified, EMT-B, CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability/Agility Test) and so forth. A lot of them require you to obtain FF2 and EMT-I within the first year or two, and most are now wanting you to have an Associates Degree in Fire Science.

I say go for it. It's something that I wish every day that I could do full time.

anybody have any idea on the training/tests to get in?

simple tests to get in...like what if questions...not even pertaining to fire fighting. CPAT test as mentioned above. thats not comepletely easy but im sure you can do it. its more technique for getting faster times than the physical nature. make sure you go to the practice trainings so u can get the techniques down and you're good to go.

the interview is the mother fucker in my opinion. i was shaking like a narcoleptic seizure in there. I failed the interview lol, back then it was like the biggest thing in the world but now i know that isnt shit compared to life lol.

oh dont worry too much about having experience. here in montgomery county they actually prefer you to have

less experience lol so they can train you "their way"

Eclipse cd7000

Archived