Misconception about Batteries?

Seriously, you're talking about ~2kw.

Screw the H/O alt. Get 2 decent batteries and call it done. Hell I would and do run 2kw off 1 large AGM battery.

EDIT: This is a traditional Boon rant that has been quietly building for quite a while. You don't need 9 batteries and 3 alts and an MLA to run 2kw. Do you guys drive around playing sine waves full tilt all day?

I swear some people baby the hell out of their systems. I see stuff like, "I have a 3kw amp but I dialed back the gain for only 1500w because my electrical isn't up to it yet"

Harden up... your voltage is going to drop, get over it. It's not going to blow your car up in your face the first time your voltage drops below 14v. Hell I thrash the shit out of my amps and I've only had 1 ever die on me, and that was due to a pre-existing fault in it. Ironically it was the 1 amp that I had really solid electrical behind. I see people blame voltage drop for killing amps all the time but seriously, I'm yet to see it myself. 99% of amps die because they are installed incorrectly or they're just shitty amps.

I've burped 4kw amps in Street SPL cars that dropped into the 10's. My friend regularly burped his 3kw system with a single G35 Yellowtop and a piece of 8ga for the battery ground. In fact you'll probably find that 99% of serious street competitors see drops well into the 10's when they burp. Shit, I've had my voltage drop so low on a bass hit that the mid/high amp went into protect and the sub kept hammering away. Did the amps blow up? No. Did my ECU freak out and make my engine explode? No. Did my lights all dim... well, yeah, but I can live with that. I'm not spending thousands of dollars on electrical upgrades just to make my headlights stay consistently bright. I'd rather spend that on, say, making the system louder. If your amp is well built it will handle voltage drops.

The saying 'it takes power to make power' is very true but damn, how many of you claim to notice the difference when the voltage drops? Do you ride around with a scope on your amp's output or something? Remember halving the power is only a 3dB difference (in theory! in practice it's less) which is pretty close to the limit of the ability of a human ear to perceive... so dropping ~20% power and the associated ~1dB... just no.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Thanks guys I just sat here and read the whole thread, I learned a lot of helpful stuff. And this guy /\/\/\/\/\/\ very well seems to know his shit.

1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Kenwood 5.25" Mids

Alpine SPS-500 5.25" Mids

4 awg Rockford Fosgate wiring kit

Rockford Fosgate P312D2

Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1

Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600.4

Pioneer DEH-3100UB HU

Pleeeeeeease.

I'm running 15 batteries in my Hyundai Getz. Stock alt. 10kw+ system. No problems.

wow..well thats nice man. I promise you ur not getting no where near 10kw.

2-18" Fi Btls

2-RF T2500-1bd

box 14cu.ft after displacement tuned @ 32hz.

Socal Box Designer/builder

Harden up... your voltage is going to drop, get over it. It's not going to blow your car up in your face the first time your voltage drops below 14v. Hell I thrash the shit out of my amps and I've only had 1 ever die on me, and that was due to a pre-existing fault in it. Ironically it was the 1 amp that I had really solid electrical behind. I see people blame voltage drop for killing amps all the time but seriously, I'm yet to see it myself. 99% of amps die because they are installed incorrectly or they're just shitty amps.

haha harden up, you sound like a drill sergeant Boon, or was that my gf last night? Anyways i hate dimming, looks cheap, only reason really i bought my alternator, plus it keeps my amp happy.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

wow..well thats nice man. I promise you ur not getting no where near 10kw.
Dude Boon's about to make you look dumb.

;)

He's probably right you know. The modded Stetsom 10kd in there only benched at, ummm.... ~12800wrms.

Does 2800w over 10k count as no where near? I guess so :search:

EDIT:

IMAG0065.jpg

Poor me and my not-10-kw :(

And I didn't even mention the mids/highs amps :(

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

i'm weary of not upgrading my alternator because i had about the same power on a stock alt a long time ago, and it ended up shitting out on me. in a bad part of town. so i had to pull over and wait like...2 hours for a tow truck. and i had extra batteries too. just sayin :)

boon owned chevyhoe08

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

Archived