Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

FI or AQ??


Recommended Posts

Posted

might help to try and hear both subs, but that will still depend upon install enclosure as I've heard horrible AQ and FI set ups when the box was all wrong, amp settings jacked up, etc...

Posted

Both are goood sub but with that much power you gotta know what your doing man ..but either way your good just make sure you get teh aluminum coils if you do plan on going with the btls

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Posted

I've seen on quite a few pictures that the AQ aren't as high quality as Fi subs.

But i think you should take the AQ subs, they are cheaper, realiable(as the BTL's), and they have good CS.(both companies have real good CS)

EDIT: i hope you are going to get a second alt to power those amps properly.(and maybe a few batts.)

If you know what you're doing both subs will take that amp, put it's quite a lot of power for a sub daily.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted
I've seen on quite a few pictures that the AQ aren't as high quality as Fi subs.

But i think you should take the AQ subs, they are cheaper, realiable(as the BTL's), and they have good CS.(both companies have real good CS)

EDIT: i hope you are going to get a second alt to power those amps properly.(and maybe a few batts.)

If you know what you're doing both subs will take that amp, put it's quite a lot of power for a sub daily.

How does that make any sense?? You stated that AQ aren't as high quality as FI woofers and then say they are as reliable at BTLs. If you're gonna give advice to someone at least have it make sense and be helpful in some manner.

I've tested the "new" BTL and the older alum coil HDC3, both performed extremely well in my testing. Up to like 2500w the HDC3 were louder by a few tenths but as soon as higher amounts of power came into play the BTL really showed it strengths. Up to about 3500w or so the HDC3 handled the power just fine, but anymore than that they started to heat up rather quickly and did get a little stinky on music. The BTL did just fine up to around 5k on music and really impressed me with it being more musical than I expected it to be.

So in conclusion the HDC3 was more musical than the BTL, although not by a huge margin IMO.. The BTL handles power a good amount better over 2500w and can take more overall power.

What's your budget for the 4 woofers??

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

Posted
How does that make any sense?? You stated that AQ aren't as high quality as FI woofers and then say they are as reliable at BTLs. If you're gonna give advice to someone at least have it make sense and be helpful in some manner.

Better build quality, better glue seams,better power handling, better finish on the whole sub.(that's what i meant with better quality.)

With relialbe i mean they can handle more then rated power and nothing will happen if you treat them right.

(Maybe it doesn't makes sense to you, but if i said i've seen on pictures, you would need to think about cosmetics, and relaibility has nothing to do with finish of a product.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted

Personally I would never run a Hdc3 on a AQ3500d daily. for burps yeah but not on music or 2 HDC3 on one AQ3500d daily. I would run my BTL on a AQ3500d daily and plan to. I think it all depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I have seen someone on here get over 150db with 1 10". I think it is more about the box then the subs. There are goods and bads for both.

96 IMPALA SS

Pioneer DEH-P8600MP H/U

Pioneer TS-C160R 6.5"

Pioneer TS-D690R 6x9"

JBL GTO755.6II

Stinger spdh-10 cap

100sqft. Fatmat

AQ 3500d

18" FI BTL 7cuft 35Hz

Posted
Personally I would never run a Hdc3 on a AQ3500d daily. for burps yeah but not on music or 2 HDC3 on one AQ3500d daily. I would run my BTL on a AQ3500d daily and plan to. I think it all depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I have seen someone on here get over 150db with 1 10". I think it is more about the box then the subs. There are goods and bads for both.

Copper coil HDC I agree with you, but I assume he's looking at the alum coils. I've been running alum coils HDC's on a 3500 each for the past year with NO issues. Yes you can get them stinky, but that takes a long demo session or a song that's clipped to shit.

And they take 2 3500's at .5ohm each for burps no problem...

Posted
How does that make any sense?? You stated that AQ aren't as high quality as FI woofers and then say they are as reliable at BTLs. If you're gonna give advice to someone at least have it make sense and be helpful in some manner.

I've tested the "new" BTL and the older alum coil HDC3, both performed extremely well in my testing. Up to like 2500w the HDC3 were louder by a few tenths but as soon as higher amounts of power came into play the BTL really showed it strengths. Up to about 3500w or so the HDC3 handled the power just fine, but anymore than that they started to heat up rather quickly and did get a little stinky on music. The BTL did just fine up to around 5k on music and really impressed me with it being more musical than I expected it to be.

So in conclusion the HDC3 was more musical than the BTL, although not by a huge margin IMO.. The BTL handles power a good amount better over 2500w and can take more overall power.

What's your budget for the 4 woofers??

BTL taking 5kw on music had to be a streetbeat/bassrace run as I don't see a 3" VC sub taking that power for daily. My HDC's took 7kw for a roll up burp on music the the other day, but I wouldn't try it for a 30sec run.

Posted
BTL taking 5kw on music had to be a streetbeat/bassrace run as I don't see a 3" VC sub taking that power for daily. My HDC's took 7kw for a roll up burp on music the the other day, but I wouldn't try it for a 30sec run.

It wasn't a clamped 5k, it was just an AB 500.1 @ 1ohm and actual clamped power after rise was like 3k or so on burps at least. Obviously the rise is gonna change on music though. When I test woofers(depending on how long i get them) I'll usually run them through the paces with different types of music, then burps, and finally bassrace them if I have time.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 454 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...