Second Skin Audio

Cone Area Of A Subwoofer

Sooo if i read this right 2 18" have more cone area then my 6 10's WTF!!!!

That isn't a really justified substitution for 2 18's. 6 10's will take around 3-4 cubes, but 2 18's would be around 8-10 cubes.

The idea of substituting for 10's would be to fill up that 8-10 cubes with more surface area. So lets go with 18 10's, takes up roughly 9-10 cubes, that would be 900 in2 in the close to the same space that 2 18's would take up with their 500 in2.

Edit: they will also take a tremendous more amount of power than 2 18's of comparable coils.

So let's take the SA-8, 500w RMS x 18 = 9kw

now lets try 2 x Zv3 18's. 1500w x 2 = 3kw

Get the idea of smaller subs?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Sooo if i read this right 2 18" have more cone area then my 6 10's WTF!!!!

That isn't a really justified substitution for 2 18's. 6 10's will take around 3-4 cubes, but 2 18's would be around 8-10 cubes.

The idea of substituting for 10's would be to fill up that 8-10 cubes with more surface area. So lets go with 18 10's, takes up roughly 9-10 cubes, that would be 900 in2 in the close to the same space that 2 18's would take up with their 500 in2.

Edit: they will also take a tremendous more amount of power than 2 18's of comparable coils.

So let's take the SA-8, 500w RMS x 18 = 9kw

now lets try 2 x Zv3 18's. 1500w x 2 = 3kw

Get the idea of smaller subs?

sort-a do. i dont have the power for said amount of 10's but i do have the power for a couple of 18's. so if i switch to 2 18's they should be louder on the same power then my 6 10's???

sort-a do. i dont have the power for said amount of 10's but i do have the power for a couple of 18's. so if i switch to 2 18's they should be louder on the same power then my 6 10's???

Hard to say which will be louder just because of all the variables. But if you do switch over make sure you have the room for 2 18's. It's all about what is practical to use. 2 18's will cost less 18 10's will have more cone area. It's mainly just how much you're willing to spend on a setup.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

the box is 9 cube's (1.5 per) tuned to 33hz and they are wired @ 1.3ohm's but thinking about rewiring them to .33ohm's

Hey man I'm am so sorry but I am an idiot and read you're post as 8" not 10".

It would not take 18 10's to fill up 9 cubes. 8 at 1.15cubes depending on what sub would get more cone area.

But I think if you waited for Sundown's new X's or Zv4's you would be very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...

(12*12) * 3 .... done!!!

any one know the surface area of 4 kicker L3 12 IN

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Archived