Sonic Electronix

I have been looking at second skin and dynomat. Second skin damplifier pro is thicker, and fairly similar to dynamat xtreme, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper. I asked a guy I work with about the 2 and he says you get what you pay for, suggesting I buy dynamat.

What is the difference between the major brands that seem the same but are priced so different?

Actually damp Pro is different than Dynamat and in better ways. And I will tell you why.

Damplifier Pro is a rubber based deadener, Dynamat is asphalt based where the asphalt is a filler.

Asphalt has a lower sound deadening rating and is also more effected by temperature differences.

This means that it will soften and melt in the summer heat, and dry and crack in the winter cold. Damplifier will not.

Also, Damplifier Pro has a perforated rubber layer, this allows air bubbles to escape when applying it. This makes sure most of the surface area adheres to the metal and stays firm.

Damplifier also has the strongest adhesive in the industry.

Damplifier also has the thickest foil in the industry. Where most brands have a thin layer of foil that really doesnt do much, the Damplifier adds the rigidity necessary to dampen properly.

Now I will tell you why Dynamat is so much more. Its because they have made a mainstream name for themselves and sell through multiple layers of distributors. Not because its better, much like JL.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I've found that Raamat, from Raamaudio (http://www.raamaudio.com/), is a nice dampener & at a good price. i bought a roll and it did wonders in my trunk.

I can vouche for this, this stuff is really good. But i have to say that if you needed a lot of dampener and you were on a budget, you should get this stuff. But second skin would definitley be on top, its quality stuff

The more questions I ask the more I like second skin. Just got a coupon...10% off online orders. "ssant10"

Any idea on where to pick the stuff up in town (sacramento)? I wont get to use the 10% off coupon any time soon :(

2010 Rav4

Image Dynamics IDQ10 D4 v.3 (2)

ID XS65 Components

ID CTX6

2 Farad Cap

ID Q 450.4

ID Q 600.1

Kenwood KIV-BT900

A couple layers of Second Skin

First system in years and looking for good advice. Starting small and hoping to grow!!!

Actually damp Pro is different than Dynamat and in better ways. And I will tell you why.

Damplifier Pro is a rubber based deadener, Dynamat is asphalt based where the asphalt is a filler.

Asphalt has a lower sound deadening rating and is also more effected by temperature differences.

This means that it will soften and melt in the summer heat, and dry and crack in the winter cold. Damplifier will not.

Also, Damplifier Pro has a perforated rubber layer, this allows air bubbles to escape when applying it. This makes sure most of the surface area adheres to the metal and stays firm.

Damplifier also has the thickest foil in the industry. Where most brands have a thin layer of foil that really doesnt do much, the Damplifier adds the rigidity necessary to dampen properly.

Now I will tell you why Dynamat is so much more. Its because they have made a mainstream name for themselves and sell through multiple layers of distributors. Not because its better, much like JL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are comparing regular dynomat to damplifier pro you aren't comparing like items... The dynomat original is an asphalt based deadner that is why it is not so flexible and doesn't stick as well plus it doesn't do much. The Extreme line is the rubberized material and is comparable to damplifier pro. Don't compare entry level lines to top level lines in another brand, isn't a fair comparison.

I've got almost three bulk packs of Dynomat Extreme in my truck and have about a half a roll of Raamat in one of my other cars. Both are easy to install and get the job done and Raamat is way cheaper but you will use more to get the same effect. Haven't had any experience with SecondSkin but what I have read it is a great product. If you go with any of these three you will be fine.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

I say it all the time and its very true.

You get what you pay for.

You take shortcuts and your performance will be cut short.

Exactly

Exactly. Which is why I would rather have no system than a system full of garbage. I would rather save and get the best than settle for less.

^^

Regular Dynamat is asphalt based, Dynamat Xtreme is butyl rubber based... I've used RAAMMAT BXT60, Dynamat, Dynamat Xtreme, and Damplifier Pro.... and no bias here but Damplifier is BETTER and CHEAPER than Dynamat....No to mention Ant's Custom Service is as good as it gets.... Tell me when you can email or call the OWNER of Dynamat and get a response almost immediately.

Not only that but Ant doesn't try to oversell you on products, he recommends a solution for your problem and budget.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are comparing regular dynomat to damplifier pro you aren't comparing like items... The dynomat original is an asphalt based deadner that is why it is not so flexible and doesn't stick as well plus it doesn't do much. The Extreme line is the rubberized material and is comparable to damplifier pro. Don't compare entry level lines to top level lines in another brand, isn't a fair comparison.

I've got almost three bulk packs of Dynomat Extreme in my truck and have about a half a roll of Raamat in one of my other cars. Both are easy to install and get the job done and Raamat is way cheaper but you will use more to get the same effect. Haven't had any experience with SecondSkin but what I have read it is a great product. If you go with any of these three you will be fine.

No I was comparing to Dynamat Extreme which is why I was mentioning the foil, SS Damp pro is 6.5mil thick where as Dynamat Xtreme is 4 mil.

But you are right that it is butyl rubber based. It just uses some asphalt as a filler.

I have used Dynamat for years, then tried Raamat, Brown Bread, E-dead, dead skin, and some no name brands. Then I started using Second Skin, that was it for me.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

I was comparing Xtreme to Pro. The second skin is thicker for a better price if you are comparing high end to high end.

Second skin

Specification

•6.5 Mil thick foil adhesive

•Adhesive = Viscoelastic butyl rubber - 99.94% solids content

•2 mm total thickness (80 mils) +/- 5%

•.65 lbs per square foot +/- 5%

•12" x 20" (1.67 sq ft.)

•High temperature butyl adhesive

•Higher rubber content - Less filler content

Dynamat

Appearance:

Black butyl based core with 4 mil aluminum constraining

layer, craft paper release liner

Thickness:

0.067” (1.7mm)

Mass:

0.45lbs./ft.2 (2.20kg/m2)

Temperature Range (Optimal Performance):

14°F to +140°F (-10°C to +60°C)

Temperature Range (Resistance):

-65°F to +300°F (-54°C to +149°C)

Adhesive Peel Strength:

42.6 lb./in. (74.8 N/cm) on cold steel

Chemical Resistance:

Resistant to water and mineral oils

Here is the deal, I can get second skin at a better normal price than Dynamat with a killer discount.

2010 Rav4

ID XS65 Components

ID CTX6

2 Farad Cap

ID Q 450.4

ID Q 600.1

Kenwood KIV-BT900

First system in years and looking for good advice. Starting small and hoping to grow!!!

With Second Skin I did get a reply within a few hours and a invite to call with any furrther questions...

2010 Rav4

ID XS65 Components

ID CTX6

2 Farad Cap

ID Q 450.4

ID Q 600.1

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Archived