Second Skin Audio

What size sub is best for daily use?

40 members have voted

1. 1. What size sub is best for daily use?

• 8"
    • 10"
    • 12"
    • 15"
    • 18"

What I am getting at is that all size woofers of similar build and design, could be made to perform the same. Given the proper enclosure design and vehicle that suits them best, each size could have the same SQ and same SPL.

exactly. Like if i had a car wit a small trunk i wouldnt pick 18s or if i had a full size SUV i wouldnt pics 8's. It really depends on the vehicle

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

http://youtube.com/tlee333

well may not know alot and 2x for ed

here i will lay off the shit talking if you do this one thing (im sure i speak for most of the forum here)

i understand not everyone knows everything but please don't post anything if you dont know the correct 110% answer

you need to just chill around here for a bit reading and reading and reading some more soak up and absorb as much knowledgeable info as you can and then come back ask some questions if need be but don't go posting around with shit you have no experience with

people who come and ask questions around the forum usually want answers to why product X is better then product Y from someone with personal experience with it not someone who seen a youtube video and thinks its better cause i seen someone else do this with it or i seen x post up this score so you should be able to to

im sorry if im coming off as an asshole or a dick or whatever im just sick of people giving bad advice or advice on a subject they have no experience with because it is almost always complete BS and WRONG

/ Rant

as for Op like ed said whats best for your vehicle is whats best for you, if you want to give up your whole trunk area a bigger sub setup is fine if you dont want to give up all that space a smaller sub setup is whats best for you

its all what you want and what is best for your needs

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

What I am getting at is that all size woofers of similar build and design, could be made to perform the same. Given the proper enclosure design and vehicle that suits them best, each size could have the same SQ and same SPL.

Okay Ed, look I have a 2001 Toyota Camry, I have a Memphis PR-1000D amplifier and I am going with Kicker CVR's, I need to know 8, 10, 12, 15 or 18? I am not competing, just trying to make the trunk rattle but be able to have some clarity. Choose one size? I don't care about SQ or SPL, I am an average "Joe" who has some money to spend at the local Best Buy and I'm am going with whatever box they have them in on the display shelf, now for heaven's sake just pick a size, Please?

Edited by bigbodylexus

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass

here i will lay off the shit talking if you do this one thing (im sure i speak for most of the forum here)

i understand not everyone knows everything but please don't post anything if you dont know the correct 110% answer

you need to just chill around here for a bit reading and reading and reading some more soak up and absorb as much knowledgeable info as you can and then come back ask some questions if need be but don't go posting around with shit you have no experience with

people who come and ask questions around the forum usually want answers to why product X is better then product Y from someone with personal experience with it not someone who seen a youtube video and thinks its better cause i seen someone else do this with it or i seen x post up this score so you should be able to to

im sorry if im coming off as an asshole or a dick or whatever im just sick of people giving bad advice or advice on a subject they have no experience with because it is almost always complete BS and WRONG

/ Rant

as for Op like ed said whats best for your vehicle is whats best for you, if you want to give up your whole trunk area a bigger sub setup is fine if you dont want to give up all that space a smaller sub setup is whats best for you

its all what you want and what is best for your needs

ok thanks and im sorry for posting bad info

Introduce a no fat chicks in the whip rule.

Im gonna have tech force make up a sign that says that and put it on my car lol

Okay Ed, look I have a 2001 Toyota Camry, I have a Memphis PR-1000D amplifier and I am going with Kicker CVR's, I need to know 8, 10, 12, 15 or 18? I am not competing, just trying to make the trunk rattle but be able to have some clarity. Choose one size? I don't care about SQ or SPL, I am an average "Joe" who has some money to spend at the local Best Buy now for heaven's sake just pick a size, Please?

how big is your trunk, do your seats fold down do you want to take up the whole trunk or do you want to save space all this plays into it

if your seats fold down and you have a good amount of room in the back there go with a single 15 firing into the cabin

or 2 12s firing into cabin its all up to you and your personal preference if your seat stays up go with 2 12s firing back into the rear of trunk

its all what YOU WANT and what YOUR capable of doing

Edited by uhoh_45

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Okay Ed, look I have a 2001 Toyota Camry, I have a Memphis PR-1000D amplifier and I am going with Kicker CVR's, I need to know 8, 10, 12, 15 or 18? I am not competing, just trying to make the trunk rattle but be able to have some clarity. Choose one size? I don't care about SQ or SPL, I am an average "Joe" who has some money to spend at the local Best Buy now for heaven's sake just pick a size, Please?

In that case I would do a pair of 12s.

In a trunk the size of a Camry's, anything larger wouldnt gain you really anything at all because of too much power compression and airflow interruption.

And anything smaller wouldnt be as efficient.

Some people only want sound reinforcement so a pair of 12s would be too much, others just like seeing big subs.

But for maximum performance and efficiency, I would say 2 12s in a Camry Trunk.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

In that case I would do a pair of 12s.

In a trunk the size of a Camry's, anything larger wouldnt gain you really anything at all because of too much power compression and airflow interruption.

And anything smaller wouldnt be as efficient.

Some people only want sound reinforcement so a pair of 12s would be too much, others just like seeing big subs.

But for maximum performance and efficiency, I would say 2 12s in a Camry Trunk.

Thank you sir, for the record I run (2) Sundown Audio SA-12's and I love it.

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass

Most "NORMAL" people would get by on a set of 10"s in a good box with power on tap. Mo mom loves the ones I put in her car, my old lady wanted 12"s, she didnt "NEED" 15"s, still loud enough for "NORMAL"

Steven :clapping:

Does this smell funny to you? Its your sister :roflmao:

Thank you sir, for the record I run (2) Sundown Audio SA-12's and I love it.

For personal preferences I enjoy 6 12s, my brother enjoys 6 15s, and my friend like 2 12s for what we all have now.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

For personal preferences I enjoy 6 12s, my brother enjoys 6 15s, and my friend like 2 12s for what we all have now.

pics of said brothers setup ed

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

current build