Question for the seasoned bassheads!!

I have been on this forum now for a 3-4 months. It seems like there are so many of you on here with 150+ db systems. Do any of you have any hearing problems or feel pain in your ears? The reason I ask is I am sure I am less then 140 db in my car and even though it does not sound loud to me it still makes my ears burn after 10-15 mins of listening. The funny thing is I know I am exposed to some serious spl in my shop with the sport bikes and muscle cars on the dyno. I can not explain how loud a built Suzuki Hayabusa with a Brocks Sidewinder exhaust is in the shop. It is so loud that it vibrates the shit out of the monitors of dyno. The same thing thing goes for cars with open headers that are either supercharged or have a bunch of compression. The shit is loud. I wear hearing protection when doing this type of testing. At 34 I am finding myself asking people to repeat what they are saying. Makes me thinki if I should really be screwing with car audio again. I do not want to be 50 and need a hearing aid. I want to be enjoy the sense of sound for a long time. This is why I use hearing protection when on the dynos.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else is having some "oh shit" thoughts about their hearing as a result of high spl.

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

My hearing actually tested better than when I was like 15.

Bass doesnt really damage human hearing as much as mid and high frequencies.

Human hearing is most sensitive in the range of human speech.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

My hearing actually tested better than when I was like 15.

Bass doesnt really damage human hearing as much as mid and high frequencies.

Human hearing is most sensitive in the range of human speech.

My guess is my hearing as suffered as result of the high frequencies from screaming sportbikes on the dyno. I guess I am wondering how much low frequency spl an ear can take before suffering serious damage.

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

My guess is my hearing as suffered as result of the high frequencies from screaming sportbikes on the dyno. I guess I am wondering how much low frequency spl an ear can take before suffering serious damage.

Chances are the pressure would become lethal before a short term high SPL low freq wave would damage your ears.

Long term at like 160-170 would leave an impact for a short time but not permanent.

But I'm not a doctor.

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4