Trouble Installing New Hard Drive

so I got yet another hard drive because the old one craped out on me.

I moved the jumpers around until the damn computer saw both hard drives

the computer boots fine

you click my computer and the second hard drive isn't there

you right click my computer and then click hardware and its there

i removed it and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work

there both Seagate barracuda hard drives the old is 80 gigs "works fine the new one is 160 gigs brand new never been used

do i need to format it or some crazy shit? i have no idea what to do.

shit this sucks i want my new hard drive!!!!!!!! lol

Edited by Big P

Guest MegaloManiac
i have windows xp why would i need partition magic? im not partitioning the hard drive :(

thats just the name of the program. you don't have to partition anything. ;)

Guest MegaloManiac
check to see if theres any windows updates one of my drives disappeared on the laptop im on now and i updated xp and it came back and i have had no problems since

he just bought the HDD. they usually dont come formatted. same thing happend to me. i am 99.9% sure formating it will solve the problem

How to install additional hard drives in XP

Installing a second hard drive in Windows XP is not as easy as it should be. If you're accustomed to plug-n-play devices, it just seems logical that XP would detect the drive and take the steps to install it. But it doesn't. You have to manually install the hard drive in XP.

How to install a hard drive in Windows XP

1. Follow the manufacturers instructions and install the physical disk in your computer.

2. Boot your computer into Windows XP.

3. Windows XP should recognize that you have added additional hardware and display a new hardware ballon near your system clock.

4. Open Disk Management in Windows XP.

From the Desktop or Start Menu, right click on My Computer and select Manage. This will open the Computer Management window. Click on Storage and select Disk Management. (image)

5. Initialize the new drive.

Windows XP may launch the Partition Wizard to initialize the new drive. If so, skip ahead to the Partition Wizard step below. If not, right click on the new drive (it will be detailed as 'Not Initialized' and show a black bar to the right of it's properties) and select Initialize. This will prepare the new drive to be used by Windows. A simple wizard will be displayed to confirm your selection.

6. Right click on the drive's listing and select Partition. Follow the Partition wizard to finish the install process.

The wizard will prompt you for several responses (image 1, image 2)prior to creating the partition.

7. Finished! Once the drive has been initialized, partitioned, and formatted it will display as a healthy drive with the size and type of partition below the volume name and drive letter (image).

The trickiest part of the whole process is finding the Disk Management area. Once you get there, it's a piece of cake. Why is it hidden in XP? I have no idea. Hopefully the Service Release 2 will contain an update that will make installing a new hard drive easy in Windows XP.