Second Skin Audio

What kind of sub in my Grand Prix?

nicklbmx

I'm looking to spend around $800 on a sub and amp. I've looked all over the internet trying to figure out the best one for me but everyone seems to have their own opinion on so many different brands that I can't make up my mind. I'm pretty sure I want an 18" sub with a 2000watt rms Soundstream Tarantula Amp(TRX2000D) because I really haven't read anything bad about it and it's not that bad of a price. I have looked into a Fi BTL(which I don't think I want because they are on backorder until May 20th), Ascendant Audio Mayhem, Digital Designs 9518g, RE Audio SX18,HCCA 15... and many more. I guess I could settle with a 15 if I had to. I'm not for sure an 18 would fit but based on my measurements theres an OK chance. Anyway just let me know what you think is the best for around 350 - 400 and Get me the maximum SPL.

Here are some pics of the dimensions of of my trunk that I made so that when I have found out what I want, I can have pete at www.pwkdesigns make me up a blueprint for the box.

trunk1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

trunk3.jpg

Seat.jpg

Thanks and I will try to make a poll based on your suggestions.

sigggg.jpg?t=1271018288

I wouldn't try to fit an 18 in your trunk. I'd get a 15 or a couple 12s.

I'm gonna be installing my Sundown z15 in the trunk of my Bonneville here pretty quick. Should fit nice and leave me some room for groceries.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

dc level 4 15 dual 1 ohm

audioque 2200d wired at .5

knu konceptz knu fleks 0 guage..

and shuriken eighty series battery.

3.5 cube box tuned to 35 hz

call it a day

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

Unless your building the box in the trunk you are not going to be able to fit an 18 in there. Your barely going to be able to fit a ported box for a 15 and have it facing the rear through the trunk opening. Only way you will be able to fit a ported box for a 15 is to have the sub firing up. The problem with those cars is the trunk opening. The largest box that I fit in it to be able to have a 15 and fire it toward the rear was 32"W X 16"T x 19"D and I still had to struggle and jump on it to get it to fit through the opening, to get it out I had to disassemble the box. IMO and experience you can only do 2 12"s ported or a single 15" ported firing up. Also I have a little discrepancy with your dimensions, the 38 7/8 width towards the ski hole seems to big, my box is only 35.75" and it is pretty snug between the strut towers.

Unless your building the box in the trunk you are not going to be able to fit an 18 in there. Your barely going to be able to fit a ported box for a 15 and have it facing the rear through the trunk opening. Only way you will be able to fit a ported box for a 15 is to have the sub firing up. The problem with those cars is the trunk opening. The largest box that I fit in it to be able to have a 15 and fire it toward the rear was 32"W X 16"T x 19"D and I still had to struggle and jump on it to get it to fit through the opening, to get it out I had to disassemble the box. IMO and experience you can only do 2 12"s ported or a single 15" ported firing up. Also I have a little discrepancy with your dimensions, the 38 7/8 width towards the ski hole seems to big, my box is only 35.75" and it is pretty snug between the strut towers.

Yeah, I measured really quickly and it was pretty dark so I probably am off. What kind of setup do you have in yours and do you know what spl you get? I'm guessing it's in a grand prix so you know what your talking about. And your right.... I wasn't thinking about putting it through there at the time I was thinking an 18.. I had two MA 12's in there before and i remembered I had a little trouble getting that in there.

sigggg.jpg?t=1271018288

i have an 18 ported with room so i guess your all just wrong. i say go with an eighteen. also i have had a 15 and you can face the towrds the back in a 4.3 cube box ported. each of these met all requirements for the box.

edit: on a side note if you want an 18 btl i will sell you mine if ur interested send me a pm.

2004 Grand Prix

HU: Alpine 9886 :( for sale

Sub Amp:AQ2200d (possbly 2)

Enclosure:BCP Designs. Best for the Money

Electrical:1 Stinger SPV70 battery

Subs:2 15 D2 AQ HDC coppers

Wiring:0gauge power SoundQuest

Wiring:0gauge ground Kicker

141.8 @ 28hz tl legal on the dash.

142.6 @ 33hz tl legal on the dash.

haha i got one of them. whether im willin to let go of it depends on jacob pricing on the 2500.

2004 Grand Prix

HU: Alpine 9886 :( for sale

Sub Amp:AQ2200d (possbly 2)

Enclosure:BCP Designs. Best for the Money

Electrical:1 Stinger SPV70 battery

Subs:2 15 D2 AQ HDC coppers

Wiring:0gauge power SoundQuest

Wiring:0gauge ground Kicker

141.8 @ 28hz tl legal on the dash.

142.6 @ 33hz tl legal on the dash.

Archived