Unibody grounding

Okay, i know that you are supposed to ground your amps to the chassis of your car if you don't do a dedicated ground run. But what if you have a unibody car? I don't have a strut tower bolt I can use in my trunk, and there aren't any 'framerails' in the back. Right now I'm grounded to the spare tire well and I feel it is not the best spot. What do you guys recommend?

Too many projects, too little time...

in my unibody i bolted my 2 amps to a thick tab that holds the seats in. (mine dont fold down) and its been workin fine for me.

i did the same thing. the point of grounding to the frame in because thats where the most metal is. in a unibody you still have a lot of metal running the length of the car so just mount to a thick spot.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

The spare tire can't be a good spot. It does not touch the frame (metallic parts) of the car.

It is impossible not to find somewhere to ground your amps ! Where did you ground your battery ?

Maybe you can use the same spot ?

just my 2 cents !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

seat belt mounting holes are the best i've found for uni-body.

as mentioned above, find the thickest metal "body" part you can find in the trunk and bolt her down.

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

The spare tire can't be a good spot. It does not touch the frame (metallic parts) of the car.

It is impossible not to find somewhere to ground your amps ! Where did you ground your battery ?

Maybe you can use the same spot ?

just my 2 cents !

i just grounded an amp to the spare tire in my friends car. it definitely connects to everything else.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I mean, grounding to the spare well has worked thus far, but I doubt it has worked as well as it could (talking 150A good)

Also, off-topic question, but thought I'd throw it in here: I don't really have much light dimming from my audio, but all my lights/HVAC/fans cause ridiculous voltage drops (talking .5V or more per accessory.) Any fixes for this other than redoing all 6841354654641 grounds my car has?

Too many projects, too little time...

I put my ground on the wheel well because its the main piece of the car (Pontiac grand am). Spare tire well could be good depending on the car, on my car the spare tire well is a separate piece of metal only spot welded to the rest of the car, so I didn't use that spot :nea:

spare tire well sucks ass in my car. but its not a unibody and theres a big ass thick strut bar running on the ground near there so win....

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

You can ground anywhere. The body is the frame. I just have mine grounded on a sanded spot in the floor under the back seat.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Alpine CDA-9886

Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-50.4

Rainbow SAC 265.25 Components

Image Dynamics iD12

Optima Yellow Top

SQFire FTW.

Archived