Sundown Audio

Amp went in protect mode?

chapo123

but how if it was working fine?? this is the worst part of car audio. when shit fucks up and you dont know what it is. if it did mess up i gotta start saving up for a new one ahh. i just bought a new guitar too. still got payments on that bish!

and the amp was old too but still. damn. i still have a autotek 1900 i could use. 2 of the channels are fried on it lmao but oh well. better then nothing. ill try to see tommorow whats up though. what else might cause an amp to go into protect??

I'm going to say ( and this might blow your mind) that every time you cranked up the power on the amp and it blew the fuse, that it put stress on the protection circuit. Because I am sure the internal caps just love to be charged and discharged like they were.

have you tried putting the 60 amps back in to see if that keeps it from going into protect mode?

Fucking brilliant !

i have this feeling u popped a fuse everyday cause u were grounding out everytime

^^^ now there is an educated post

Quite possibly could of had a grounding issue that the small fuse caught before frying the protection circuit

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

A surge can happen from a short or a spike in the charging system or the amplifier drawing more current then its designed for. Too big of a fuse is like no fuse at all. So its as if your systems not protected at all. This may not be the case but certainly is a possibility

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

ground was on metal sanded down so.. lol and again i thought 200 was fine cuz like the sundown 2000d has a 200amp fuse. my amp doesnt have any internal fuses in it and i dont have the manual and couldnt find anything online so i just thought 200 would be fine. i really hope my amp isnt fried. but if it is im going to hang it on my wall lol for all the good memories.

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

if thats the case. like 2 big of a fuse means no fuse then im lucky i didnt start a fire? lol my mom was in the back :P so im glad that didnt happen!

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Are there fuses in the amp itself? It sounds like there isn't.

Also on a side note, an amplifier is just a load in a circuit. The amp only pulls current as it is told to. Only you can tell the amp how much power to take.

Before with the 60a it pulled the power, and the fuse blew meaning it pulled more than 60a. With the bigger fuse you gave it the ability to pull more than that. Lets say it pulled 70a, that is less than the larger fuse and more than the small which is why the small one blew and the large one didn't, but is prolly plenty to blow the amp.

Rule of thumb with fusing... Add up the fuses on the amp and put that side fuse in the wire, there is nothing wrong with this. Yes 0 gauge wire can pull 200 amps, but if you don't need to , don't fuse it there.

If the amp does not have fuses in it look up what fuse to get from the amplifier's company. Not people on here or anywhere else.

My advice, take it out and bench test it just hook up the power remote and ground. If it still does not work then the sub and rcas are ruled out.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

and i swear there was no smoke or anything coming from the amp. pretty weird.

1j1450.png

and this may be noobish but whats bench testing lol...

1j1450.png

Did you check the actual fuses in the amp itself? My friend has a cheap boss amp and we played a song, once the lowest part of the bassline hit the amp flickered to protect and then got stuck. Turns out both fuses on the amp blew, replaced them and it works fine.

Edit: Sorry, just read your amp doesnt have any.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Front Stage: Crescendo CCX 6.5's

Rear Stage: ???

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

A surge can happen from a short or a spike in the charging system or the amplifier drawing more current then its designed for. Too big of a fuse is like no fuse at all. So its as if your systems not protected at all. This may not be the case but certainly is a possibility

Really? So wouldn't that mean that EVERY fuse in the whole car would pop. Or is this surge just directed to audio only ;)

Are there fuses in the amp itself? It sounds like there isn't.

Also on a side note, an amplifier is just a load in a circuit. The amp only pulls current as it is told to. Only you can tell the amp how much power to take.

Before with the 60a it pulled the power, and the fuse blew meaning it pulled more than 60a. With the bigger fuse you gave it the ability to pull more than that. Lets say it pulled 70a, that is less than the larger fuse and more than the small which is why the small one blew and the large one didn't, but is prolly plenty to blow the amp.

Rule of thumb with fusing... Add up the fuses on the amp and put that side fuse in the wire, there is nothing wrong with this. Yes 0 gauge wire can pull 200 amps, but if you don't need to , don't fuse it there.

If the amp does not have fuses in it look up what fuse to get from the amplifier's company. Not people on here or anywhere else.

My advice, take it out and bench test it just hook up the power remote and ground. If it still does not work then the sub and rcas are ruled out.

Voice of reason right her. Glad so see there is still a few people on here with some common sense :good:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Archived