Sundown Audio

Amp went in protect mode?

chapo123

im going to hook it up in my brothers car tommorow. he has a 150amp fuse. ill see if it comes out of protect.

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

I would guess that if your amp isn't hot but you kept popping your 60 amp and by using a 200 amp fuse your amp may be ruined. It could be so many different things that have caused it to go into protection mode. It could have an internal short or open caused by over current. Double check your ground wires. My friend had a system that kept having dimming headlight problems even after doing the big three and a cap and he finally found that even though his ground connection was good the piece of metal that he grounded to was only spot welded to the vehicle and the current draw eventually heated the spot welds enough to break loose and in turn cause the amp to shut off. Good luck and let us know what you find.

You can't "Over current" an amp. Think about this. If you have an amp that only has 40 amps of fusing and a 200 amp alt, Will the additional 160 amps of "current" blow the fuse or break the amp? Of course not. Or else every small 4 ch amp would fry in all these big power setups. Besides, what about all those little 5 amp fuses in the car? does that mean your alt only puts out 5 amps of "current"

Now too much or too little voltage can be a different story. I would say in his case, too little voltage or a bad grounding would be a good start.

And if your "friend" welded a connection to the frame and it melted off then I am going to say he is a horrible welder

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Voice of reason right her. Glad so see there is still a few people on here with some common sense :good:

Thanks for the compliment. That means a lot, i still feel like i'm dumb compared to guys like you. Maybe not dumb (girlfriend says not to say that) but certainly inexperienced. Thanks again :drinks:

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

i know imma get flamed but yes i am on completely stock elc. stock 60 or 70amp alt i cant remember too.

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

ill see in my brothers car. he has a 140amp alt and a 2nd batt.

1j1450.png

im going to hook it up in my brothers car tommorow. he has a 150amp fuse. ill see if it comes out of protect.

Forget about fusing, for the bench test at least.

Literally any wires will work for testing purposes, mainly because without rcas hooked up the only current the amp will draw is current for any leds on the amp and literally nothing else. I would use scrap wires and just hook it up to a battery nothing more to it.

Do not make it complicated, that is the opposite of troubleshooting.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

it would be easier to hook it up in his car. i dont have another batt laying around. and i would have to take it out his car. then test it. it would be easier to just hook it up in his car.

1j1450.png

@ kingsuv. If it was a surge through the the charging system then yes every fuse would probably blow. Because the amplifier is hooked directly to the battery and not the stock fuse box the amplifier is going to draw current from the battery as it always does. Odds are if it fried the amp its because I was allowed to draw as much power as possible and the internals got fried because of no protection. The surge is that big power draw before the amp fries.

@chapo there would only be a fire if the system was shorting out and causing sparks/heat near a flammable surface like your seat or carpet and it catches fire. And if you buy an amp with no fuses on the amp then using ohms law calculate the amp draw and put a fuse at both ends of the power wire within 18" of batt and amp.

Again, Please explain a surge?

An amplifier will only draw as much current as it is asked of. This has nothing to do with the charging system ( unless there is an problem with it ) or a fuse.

The soul purpose of a fuse id to protect a circuit from drawing more amperage then the fuse allows. It DOES NOT control the amount of current to the amp. It is not some sort of flow control valve.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

It does control the current because it doesn't allow more amperage then its rated for. The amp will only draw as much as its designed for, that your right about. However a short within the amplifer could cause a surge of power from the battery that is say 150 amps. The fuse will pass that through but the amplifer may not be designed for that load and the internals get fried because of that

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Again, Please explain a surge?

An amplifier will only draw as much current as it is asked of. This has nothing to do with the charging system ( unless there is an problem with it ) or a fuse.

The soul purpose of a fuse id to protect a circuit from drawing more amperage then the fuse allows. It DOES NOT control the amount of current to the amp. It is not some sort of flow control valve.

I have pulled my head out of my butt, sir. I get what you are saying and it makes total sense. Anyways I learned something today lol.

As for my earlier reply, it came from years of working with crap systems and dumb friends that told me such things.

Archived