Second Skin Audio

Double baffle?

hello. can someone tell me the main reasons why people double baffle their box? does it effect the sound quality? louder? i have 2 12" alpine type r's and really want to make a custom ported box. i have one type r in a custom ported box (double baffle), that i bought of some one. i really like how it sounds in this box. not sure where the box is tuned maybe around 33hz. the seller said its the specs for a "type x". its the box on my avatar. im pretty sure i would be satisfied if i went dual. thanks.

iDA-X200/Clarion EQS746

RF T500-1bd

(2) 12" RF HX's

Kicker 350.4

Alpine & Polk Speakers

Stock electrical

IMO its just to have more meat so to speak for the sub mounting screws to bite into. The box I am working on for my XL15 isnt double baffled for clearence issues, so I just made sure to do a good job on internal bracing.

Edit:

That Too, is a good reason

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

A double baffle essentially just braces the box more. It's harder to flex 2 pieces of wood than just one. Flexing wood = losing deebeez. Some people double up on all sides of their boxes just to stop any flex.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

The double baffle is just an easy way to stiffen up the box. When a box (or any other part of the environment in your vehicle) flexes, what is actually happening is the energy of the sound wave is being transferred into whatever is flexing. So, it is essentially dampening the bass.

The less flex, the less db loss.

Edit: I type too slow. :pardon:

very well said people. the guy is charging me $100 for a dual ported box single 3/4 mdf no carpet, good deal? im guessing it will be an extra $20-30 to double baffle it. im pretty sure i can make my own bucks and maybe save a few bucks. i can buy a jigsaw, wood, materials etc and make Lowes to the cut outs. the only thing is i never built a box before and i dont to waste money....

iDA-X200/Clarion EQS746

RF T500-1bd

(2) 12" RF HX's

Kicker 350.4

Alpine & Polk Speakers

Stock electrical

its not hard to make a box, just take your time and make straight cuts, thats about it.

And make sure you get the edges glued down well and caulk all the corners. If it's airtight it'll be louder and sound better.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

I always double baffle the sub face only, wood´s too expensive here, and i just get some nice Threaded Rod (or however it´s written) for bracing :yahoo:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Archived