Second Skin Audio

More amp watts than rms speaker watts

Imagine.

A quality amplifier throws out 500w RMS (naah its not much for u guys. but its enough for me). To have some good tones and no clipping a sub needs to have a powerful amp. But where is the point the amp is overkill for the sub?

Say a MB Quart Amp (300w @ 4ohm, 400w @ 2 ohm, 500w @ 1 ohm) amp and a quality (MB QUART 12" PREMIUM WOOFER PWH-302 [DVC 2ohm]) sub.

Is this enough or do i need some powerfull amp to have a little less clip?

Most here like to have room to upgrade, set their gains without clipping, etc. Some people will have a 1500 wrms rated sub and have a 3000 wrms amp on it. They can have the gain set almost at minimum and not even have to worry about the amp clipping. And they also have the option of getting a second sub. I would recommend staying as close as possible to the rated rms so as not to damage any equipment, if you are new to audio. People who have lots of overhead are often experienced, have a o-scope to tune everything with, and just basically no what they are doing.

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

Most here like to have room to upgrade, set their gains without clipping, etc. Some people will have a 1500 wrms rated sub and have a 3000 wrms amp on it. They can have the gain set almost at minimum and not even have to worry about the amp clipping. And they also have the option of getting a second sub. I would recommend staying as close as possible to the rated rms so as not to damage any equipment, if you are new to audio. People who have lots of overhead are often experienced, have a o-scope to tune everything with, and just basically no what they are doing.

This times a lot. The entire post, but that most specifically. One of if not the worst things you can do if you are playing around with "overpowering" subs is to incorrectly set the gain too high and you run into clipping.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Archived