Sonic Electronix

Ive read that most prefab. enclosures are tuned high. Now my sister has an (dont laugh) 8" bazooka tube in her car and it is able to hit all the frequencies pretty damn good, but the lows, like the low lowwwwws sound unbelievable for that size sub, clean and rather loud. So I imagine that the sub is playing below tuning frequency when it hits those notes. How far is a sub able to actually play below tuning frequency and still sound that damn good?

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

"Good" is a relative term. What sounds good to you might not sound good to me & the other way around. I know my truck sounds terrible below about 30hz, it peaks at 39. It probably all depends on the setup and the car its in.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

"Good" is a relative term. What sounds good to you might not sound good to me & the other way around.

I had a feeling someone was going to say something like that. Well can you still play like say 5 hz below tuning frequency and still retain sound quality that low?

"Good" is a relative term. What sounds good to you might not sound good to me & the other way around.

I had a feeling someone was going to say something like that. Well can you still play like say 5 hz below tuning frequency and still retain sound quality that low?

yes as a matter of fact you could tune 10 hertz below tunning and still sound good. it all depends on the set up, give a try and see what sounds best to you but i wouldn't go any lower than 10 Hz lower.

Edited by jizazz12

2007 Chevy Impala LS

1 Crescendo 3KWP

1Crescendo C1000/4

2 DC lvl 4 15's with lvl5 dual .7 coils

1Audio Control Matrix

1 Pioneer P880PRS

1 300 amp Iraggi alt

All power runs done with Knu flex 0/1 guage

1 optima yellow top under the hood

1 XS 5100 and two Deka's in the trunk

4 Crescendo MP-8 mid bass drivers

2 DB Drive p5 5 D Pro Audio tweeters

For a second, I thought the real tommyk was the OP.

SPL-Lab REPCar: 1996 Honda Accord F22B1 CoupeSuspension: Megan Racing Full Street Coilover Dampener KitAlternator: DC Power XP 270Batteries: XS Power D5100 & D3100Wiring: KnuKonceptz & 2/0 Welding cableHeadunit: Kenwood KDC-MP642UComponents: Hybrid Audio ClarusAmplifers: Lanzar OPTI250X4Subwoofer: 2 Sundown Audio E8.v2Deadener: Sound Deadener ShowdownSPL Meter: SPL-Lab RTA Pro meterWant an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has the same features? PM me.CA ref: (enellz, 92c1v1c, el_chupo_, Thixx, Kraudio12, SethPhillips, NJack2AF, JamesKarr, ExpoSport, 01 S 10, wgsj_fortvalley, fast306stang, Lakota, blackga, TheLow, adrian1185, the727kid, rudy, sundownz, lmllopez, traksta15, gentlejax, satchel50207, Bigthangs, Goindef154)CACO ref: (extremechevyman67, ghostmechanic, FatBoy2, TheMan007, bdufner, 350zkid, ironb, bmansbach)SSA ref as phi: ( shizzzon, porkchop, onebadmonte, stevemead, TRP, ///M5, denim)SMD ref: (DC Power Rob, Nathan@XSPOWER, Jman08)And then some.

ame='TommyK' date='18 June 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1276914672' post='1114254']

yes as a matter of fact you could tune 10 hertz below tunning and still sound good. it all depends on the set up, give a try and see what sounds best to you but i wouldn't go any lower than 10 Hz lower.

Thanks for the info I might try a few things. When you say "you could tune 10 hertz below" do you mean, "you could play 10 hertz below"?

Thanks for the info I might try a few things. When you say "you could tune 10 hertz below" do you mean, "you could play 10 hertz below"?

yes, for example if your box is tunned to 33 Hz you can set your amp to 23 Hz but like i said before every system is different just like everyones ear, so just tweak a little here and there until things sound good to you.

2007 Chevy Impala LS

1 Crescendo 3KWP

1Crescendo C1000/4

2 DC lvl 4 15's with lvl5 dual .7 coils

1Audio Control Matrix

1 Pioneer P880PRS

1 300 amp Iraggi alt

All power runs done with Knu flex 0/1 guage

1 optima yellow top under the hood

1 XS 5100 and two Deka's in the trunk

4 Crescendo MP-8 mid bass drivers

2 DB Drive p5 5 D Pro Audio tweeters

My old enclosure was tuned at 38hz I could play very easily into the mids 20s loud and without overexcrusion and without a subsonic filter... I was also running a larger then recommended enclosure size aswell as running over 1.5 time the rms power rating.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

For some reason I thought that you couldnt really play anything below tuning frequency lol. But thanks for clearing that up for me guys. I dont have a system yet, nor care even, but I plan on getting one very soon as well as a system. Btw im loving this forum, the amount of information on here is incredible! Im stil reading lots and gaining information on car audio.

For some reason I thought that you couldnt really play anything below tuning frequency lol. But thanks for clearing that up for me guys. I dont have a system yet, nor care even, but I plan on getting one very soon as well as a system. Btw im loving this forum, the amount of information on here is incredible! Im stil reading lots and gaining information on car audio.

It's not that you can't play below the tuned frequency, just that the speaker will not be as efficient below the tuned frequency. The speaker will likely need to work a lot harder to reproduce frequencies below the tuned frequency so you should be careful to not cause the speaker to bottom out. The vehicle acoustics can also play a large part in the way it sounds as well.